2-year-old dies after choking on grape

lead image

Find out how this happened and how you can prevent this from happening to your child.

Who knew a fruit as innocent as a grape would be the cause of death for a child?

Toddler Jacob Jenkins passed away in the hospital — 5 days after choking on a grape in a Pizza Hut restaurant in Hartlepool, England.

According to reports, Jacob Jenkins was brought to the Royal Victoria infirmary in Newcastle, where he was put into an induced coma. The child stopped breathing half an hour after he swallowed the grape on Friday (9 Oct).

The toddler’s parents made the decision to switch off his life support on Wednesday (14 Oct).

A Pizza Hut spokeswoman said that they have “removed grapes from the menu with immediate effect”.

What you can do to prevent this from happening

As parents, we are always trying to find ways to get our kids to eat their fruits. We must also be very careful when it comes to the size of the fruit itself, especially when your child is still very young.

Cut your grapes into halves or quarters

Always cut your grapes before feeding them your child.

Age does not matter

It also doesn’t matter if your child can already chew his/her food properly. Grapes are the perfect size to block a child’s windpipe. Once the grape is stuck, the airway will be blocked completely.

Republished with permission from: theAsianparent Singapore

If you have any insights, questions or comments regarding the topic, please share them in our Comment box below. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Google+ to stay up-to-date on the latest from theAsianparent.com Philippines!

 

May katanungan tungkol sa pagpapalaki ng anak? Basahin ang mga artikulo o magtanong sa kapwa magulang sa aming app. I-download ang theAsianparent Community sa iOS o Android!