Baby swallowed battery and becomes permanently disabled!

lead image

An 8-month-old baby in NZ is now permanently disabled after swallowing a button battery. Read on for this 'baby swallowed battery' case...


src= content/uploads/2015/02/v635575110553870000 a98cfb8a 0600 4b51 9317 a4280085371e 800.jpg Baby swallowed battery and becomes permanently disabled!

Baby swallowed battery: Devon, after undergoing rounds of treatments and operations at the hospital.

According to a report on New Zealand crowd-funding site, Givealittle, eight-month-old Devon Hacche has been in the Paediatric Intensive Care Unit at Auckland’s Starship Children’s Hospital since December 2014, four days after he swallowed a large lithium-ion battery.

Amanda Hacche, Devon’s mum, shared that she found her youngest son having symptoms of a runny nose and mild wheezing. Upon bringing Devon to the doctor, his condition was diagnosed as bronchiolitis, a common illness of the respiratory tract caused by an infection that affects tiny airways.

However, when Devon’s condition got worst, Hacche immediately took him to Tauranga Hospital the next day where an X-ray showed the battery lodged in his oesophagus.

“It turns out this is one of the most damaging and dangerous things that my beautiful boy could have ever ingested as they react with the saliva/gastric fluids and cause an electro-chemical reaction, which causes deep and extremely fast corrosion burns into soft human tissue,” Hacche wrote.

Hacche has two other children, aged five and 15.

src= content/uploads/2015/02/dreamstime xs 19576220.jpg Baby swallowed battery and becomes permanently disabled!

Caution: This lithium-ion battery poses a serious choking hazard for young kids.

Rounds of intensive treatments

The battery was successfully removed that day, and further tests were carried out. These revealed that the presence of the battery in Devon caused severe burns that stretched 10cm down his oesophagus and left a 5cm hole. His trachea was also burnt, while the nerves that control his vocal chords were badly damaged.

Since that fateful December, Devon had undergove five surgeries to remove and repair the burnt tissues. According to the NZ Herald, this includes an eight-hour operation where the little boy’s heart and lungs were stopped and he was kept alive with the help of a cardiac bypass machine.

More details on the “Baby swallowed battery” case on the next page.

src= content/uploads/2015/02/dreamstime xs 23071847.jpg Baby swallowed battery and becomes permanently disabled!

Devon, before the tragic incident

What doctors say

Early reports suggest that Devon will need to be monitored closely in the hospital in the next eight months, followed by years of treatment.

“Devon may never breathe independently again and he will remain without a voice. He cannot make sounds without vocal cord function,” Hacche said.

Devon’s family has set up a Givealittle page for friends and relatives to donate and also follow his progress.

Beware of small items

As we all know, extremely small items such as button batteries pose a risk of choking and injury in kids under five years old. Thus, it is important that parents and caregivers exercise extreme caution when it comes to handling and storing small items in their homes.

Here are some things to take note of when faced with this situation:

  • Always check your kids’ toys and devices to ensure that the battery slot is locked in and secure
  • Keep all coin-sized items away from small children
  • Throw away old batteries immediately – do not leave them lying around
  • If you suspect that your child has swallowed a small item, call 999 and go to the A&E immediately


Mums, please share this story with all your friends and let them know the dangers of choking and severe injury in kids after ingesting small items such as batteries.

Article originally published on:

If you have any insights, questions or comments regarding the topic, please share them in our Comment box below. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Google+ to stay up-to-date on the latest from Philippines!

May katanungan tungkol sa pagpapalaki ng anak? Basahin ang mga artikulo o magtanong sa kapwa magulang sa aming app. I-download ang theAsianparent Community sa iOS o Android!