A Banoffee Pie recipe for Filipino moms
Craving for Banoffee Pie? With this easy to follow recipe, you can make it at home and have a slice any time you like!
The Banoffee Pie has quickly become a Filipino favorite. It's not surprising, given the Pinoy sweet tooth, and the abundance of sweet bananas available to us here.
Looking to replicate this dessert at home? Here's a copycat Starbucks Banoffee Pie recipe adapted from The Frustrated Chef that you can try out.
How to make Banoffee Pie
You will need:
Graham cracker pie crust (learn how to make a graham cracker crust)
For the filling:
180g chocolate chips
1 big can plus 1 tetra brick of condensed milk
For the topping:
Melted Chocolate or Chocolate Syrup
Cocoa powder (Optional for dusting)
- Prepare the graham crust. Press into solo-size pie plates or a 9" pie plate. Use the bottom of a drinking glass to firmly pack the crust, and flatten the bottom and sides. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 45 minutes to an hour.
- Prepare the caramel. Pour condensed milk into a baking dish, and cover with aluminum foil. Place the dish into a larger baking dish or pan. Fill the larger pan with water halfway up the sides of the smaller baking dish. Cook in the oven at 350 F degrees for two hours. Constantly check to make sure that the water doesn't dry out, and add water as needed. If you cook this without water, the toffee will become dry and stiff. (Note: This step may be done in advance)
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler, or in a glass bowl placed over a pot of boiling water. Alternately, you may use store-bought chocolate syrup to make it easier.
- Whip heavy cream or whipping cream until it doubles in volume.
- Assemble the Banoffee Pie by first spreading melted chocolate or chocolate syrup onto the chilled pie crust. Add a layer of caramel over the chocolate layer. Arrange sliced bananas over the caramel. Spread whipped cream over the bananas. Drizzle with leftover melted chocolate or chocolate syrup, or dust with cocoa powder.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR: Patricia de Castro-Cuyugan
If you have any insights, questions or comments regarding the topic, please share them in our Comment box below. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Google+ to stay up-to-date on the latest from theAsianparent.com Philippines!