3-Year-Old choked to death on a bouncy ball
Why you need to be extra-careful about what toys you are giving your toddlers
Colorful and buoyant, bouncy balls are a favourite with many kids. Does your tot spend hours watching their bouncy ball go up and down? If yes, maybe it’s time you got to know about the very real danger of a bouncy ball choking hazard.
In an unfortunate incident, little Alby Davis, who was about to turn four on 5 March 2018, died a shocking death because he swallowed and choked to death on a bouncy ball. Alby has an older sister Sage and little brother Acre.
His mom Anna is pregnant and is about to deliver her fourth baby.
Bouncy ball choking hazard: birthday present proved to be fatal
The bouncy ball was an early birthday gift for Alby, who lives in Tasmania. But the gift took this little one’s life as the ball got stuck in Alby’s windpipe. Pregnant mom Anna’s efforts to save him were in vain. She lost her little love within seconds.
The pregnant mom took to Instagram and expressed her grief and warned other parents about bouncy ball choking hazard. Take a look.
She captioned the image saying: Yesterday afternoon, our beautiful, beautiful Alby, our darling baby boy, grew wings and flew from this earth. Minutes pass like hours and the gaping hole in our lives and hearts is completely incomprehensible. We adore you beyond belief, our sweet little fox. Forever three, forever free.
Support for the grieving family started pouring in
To assist the family financially, a funding page has been created. Anna is self-employed while Simon, her husband is a relief teacher. He is not entitled to paid leave and so the financial support was essential. They have received around $180,000 as donations. But what’s more heartwarming is people are posting touching comments to help them overcome their loss. Here are a few of the emotional messages.
One of the posts said: I cannot even begin to imagine what you are going through at this time. My love, thoughts and prayers are with you.
Another one shared: The most gorgeous face and one that will never be forgotten, sending all our love, strength and prayers to help you through this time.
Touched by such warm gestures, Anna thanked everyone for the support. She said: No words could ever express the depths of our gratitude for the outpouring of love we have received since our worst nightmare became our daily reality. During this time of immense grief, your thoughts, prayers, sympathy and tears have enveloped and uplifted us, and we could never thank you enough for your overwhelming generosity and support.
Bouncy ball choking hazard: Toys that are potential choking hazards
Never take your little one’s safety for granted, especially if they are an age where they put things in their mouths. A bouncy ball choking hazard is just one of the risks. Take note of the following safety hazards posed by common toys.
- For children between the ages of three and six years, toys with small parts can pose a choking threat.
- For kids who are older than three years of age, small balls with a diameter of less than 1.75 inches can prove to be a choking hazard.
- In the case of children older than three years of age, toys that have small balls are dangerous and can be a threat to life. In another report, an eight-month-old baby died by swallowing a water absorbent ball as it expanded inside and blocked the intestines.
- Marbles are also hazardous due to their small size.
- Balloons are another kids’ favorite that pose a threat to life. Reports say that of the reported choking death incidents, more are due to balloon choking. A five-year-old girl, Lily Breen died of swallowing a balloon and recently, in August 2017, an eight-month-old baby also passed away after choking on a swallowed balloon.
- Toys with button batteries can be dangerous as small kids may put these in their mouth. Reports mention that an eight-month-old baby choked after swallowing a large lithium ion battery. The incident has caused heavy damage to this baby. For example, he will never be able to speak or breathe normally. In another incident a two-year-old died by swallowing a button battery.
- Sharp-edged toys can also lead to choking and internal organ damage if swallowed.
So, while you allow your little one to play with their favorite toys, it’s important that you are aware of these dangers. Moreover, when kids are playing, it’s essential that you or other caregivers keep a keen eye on them and stop them from putting toys in their mouth.
Republished with permission from: theAsianParent Singapore