According to reports, the 9-year-old's burnt body was found clutching a bible as the flames engulfed his home in Barangay Gun-ob, Lapu-Lapu City, Cebu.
A 9-year-old boy sadly passed away during an eight-minute Cebu fire. When the rescuers found his body, they saw him still holding onto a Bible which he clasped during his last few moments.
9-Year-old boy dies in Cebu fire
9-year-old James Sorbilla became the victim of a fire that razed their home in Barangay Gun-ob, Lapu-Lapu City, Cebu.
According to reports, James fell asleep after going to that Sunday’s Church service. The boy woke up when the fire started, but sadly he was unable to open their locked door.
The fire only lasted for eight minutes.
The fire was caused by a short circuit
Fire investigator Ruffred Amores shared that one of the boy’s siblings was outside when the fire happened. His grandmother and other siblings weren’t home.
The boy’s uncle, Benjie, was in a fiesta and came home to the terrible news of his nephew’s death.
Initial investigations point towards a short circuit as the cause of the blaze. The fire then quickly spread through the home since it was made of light materials.
Fire prevention tips for your home
There’s a saying that goes “It’s better to be robbed than to have your house burn down.” When your house burns down, you lose everything. That’s why it’s important for moms and dads to make sure that their homes are safe. Here are some important fire prevention tips:
- Make sure that you have smoke alarms in your home, especially in bedrooms and in the kitchen.
- Create a fire escape plan with your family. Make sure that everyone knows what to do in case of a fire.
- Check your electrical systems to ensure that there are no faulty wirings or potential short circuits.
- Always keep the number of the nearest fire station handy in case of any emergencies.
- Make sure that your home has fire exits that your family can use in case of an emergency.
Photos from: maxpixel.freegreatpicture.com