Family releases video of toddler silently strangling himself, to warn other parents of its dangers

lead image

They aim to make other parents aware of the dangers of hanging wires and cables.

More than 10 years ago, a toddler was caught on camera silently strangling on a window blind cord as his mother filmed the rest of the family playing together in the living room.

Gavin Walla, can be seen in the horrifying home video hanging limply from the looped window blind cord, which is wrapped around his neck.

Suddenly noticing that the toddler had stopped breathing, his mother stops filming and rushes to assist her child and untangle the cord.

Thankfully, her quick actions saved Gavin’s life. He can be heard in the video coughing and spluttering as he gasps for breath.

Gavin (who is now 17) and his family want people to see this home video in the hope of raising awareness about the very real dangers of window blind cords and other free hanging cables and wires.

Children and hanging wires, cables and cords are never a good combination. Parents have to do some cable management and the easiest way to avoid such accidents is to keep such things off the floor and off their reach. The cords can be routed around doorways or window frames by adhesive-backed cable clips.

Gavin told sources: “I’m glad that it’s out there. It saved the lives of other children that have been fortunate enough to have parents who have seen the video.”

Republished with permission from: theAsianparent Singapore

If you have any insights, questions or comments regarding the topic, please share them in our Comment box below. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Google+ to stay up-to-date on the latest from theAsianparent.com Philippines!

May katanungan tungkol sa pagpapalaki ng anak? Basahin ang mga artikulo o magtanong sa kapwa magulang sa aming app. I-download ang theAsianparent Community sa iOS o Android!