Mother shares story of how excessive gadget use caused her daughter to have seizures

lead image

Too much of anything can be a bad thing, but who knew that too much gadget use would have the potential to cause seizures in a child?

On a Facebook post, mommy Maricon Molvizar Collamar shared the story of how her daughter, Mikayla, went through a terrible experience when she suffered seizures, and even temporary paralysis that according to doctors, were probably caused by excessive use of gadgets.

"Mommy, di ko ma move ung (left) arm ko!"

According to Maricon, at around 10-11:30 pm of June 27th, she heard her 6 year old daughter Mikayla, screaming for help. She initially thought that her daughter just saw a cockroach, but something felt off when her daughter kept on screaming and calling her name. She found Mikayla in their room, naked (since she just finished her bath), and suffering from a seizure. She checked to see if her daughter might have slipped and fallen which could have caused the seizure, but there was no evidence to show that she fell.

She sat her daughter down on the bed, and asked her what happened. Her daughter responded, "Mommy, di ko ma move ung (left) arm ko!," which made Maricon even more worried since this has never happened before. She asked her daughter if she could move her fingers, but she still was unable to do so.

Her daughter told her that moments before she had the seizure and a paralyzed arm, she was just playing with one of her earrings, when she suddenly felt dizzy, and had a seizure.

At around 12:30 am of June 28th, she took her to the hospital, to get her checked and see what might have caused the seizure.

It was due to her excessive use of gadgets

She underwent a battery of tests, including a CT scan and an xray to check and see if she had any internal injuries. She also underwent an EEG and MRI to check her brain, and possibly identify the cause of the seizure.

According to one of her doctors, a neuropediatrician, or a specialist that treats disorders in children's brains, Mikayla suffered from a focal seizure, which was probably caused by her excessive use of gadgets.

Maricon shared that ever since the summer vacation, her daughter kept on using gadgets non-stop, such as using the iPad or watching TV. Maricon shared that she just let her daughter use the gadgets since she was an entrepreneur, and had to finish orders for her clients, so she needed a way to keep her daughter preoccupied.

Maricon added that she was partly to blame for what happened to her daughter, since she was so busy at home, she just let her daughter use those gadgets to pass the time.

Thankfully, after that terrifying ordeal, Mikayla didn't go through any more seizures. She was prescribed medication, and her gadget use was limited to 2 hours per day. Maricon shared that because of the restriction in her gadget use, Mikayla had to think of other means of keeping herself occupied without the use of gadgets.

Hopefully their story will serve as a lesson for parents to not let their kids use their gadgets excessively.

Read Maricon's entire Facebook post below:

Source: facebook.com

READ: “Our Kawasaki Disease scare”: A Mom shares her Story

Be sure to check out theAsianparent Community for more insightful stories, questions, and answers from parents and experts alike. If you have any insights, questions or comments regarding the topic, please share them in our Comment box below. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Google+ to stay up-to-date on the latest from theAsianparent.com Philippines!

May katanungan tungkol sa pagpapalaki ng anak? Basahin ang mga artikulo o magtanong sa kapwa magulang sa aming app. I-download ang theAsianparent Community sa iOS o Android!