Infant feared dead after fire breaks out in Las Piñas

lead image

Over 300 residents lost their homes after a fire broke out in Satima Compound, Fatima Village Talon Dos, Las Piñas City.

Over a hundred homes were destroyed

According to reports, the fire broke out a little past 1 p.m., and it took the firefighters 3 hours to get the blaze under control.

Currently, investigations are ongoing regarding the cause of the fire, but according to the Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP), the fire started from a house owned by a man named Joselito Cuaderno.

Over 100 homes were destroyed, and the damage was estimated to be around 2 million pesos.

An infant is still missing

According to Ruel Anastacio, one of the victims, his live-in partner's baby had died in the fire. He said that his partner tried to save her baby, but she was unable to do so because the fire was too strong. He believes that the child did not make it. However, the BFP is still unable to confirm it unless they see the child's body.

Currently, the displaced residents are staying in a basketball court where tents were set up, and the families were given food.

Fire-proofing your home

They say that it's better to be robbed by a thief, rather than have a fire burn down your home. While that may be a bit extreme, it just highlights how devastating it can be to suffer from a fire. That's why we have to do everything that we can to make sure we can fire-proof our homes as much as possible. Here are some useful tips:

  • Always have a means of putting out fires in your home. Even a small fire extinguisher can prove helpful when a fire breaks out in your home. That's why it's important to keep a fire extinguisher handy at all times.
  • Make sure to install smoke alarms, and check to ensure that they are working properly. Smoke alarms can alert you to any fires that might break out in your home, so make sure to install a few smoke alarms to keep your family safe.
  • Avoid having a lot of flammable materials in your home. Having too many flammable materials in your home is a fire hazard in itself. That's why you should avoid having too much furniture or decorations that can easily catch fire.
  • Check your house's wiring, and make sure not to overload any sockets. Electrical fires are one of the most common types of house fire, and usually they are caused by overloaded sockets, or faulty wiring.
  • Never leave any open flames unattended. Open flames that are left unattended are a big no-no for any home. If you're using candles, make sure to put them out after, and keep them well away from anything flammable.

Source: news.abs-cbn.com, proreferral.com

READ: Fire burns down 5 homes in Malabon City, families left homeless

Be sure to check out theAsianparent Community for more insightful stories, questions, and answers from parents and experts alike. If you have any insights, questions or comments regarding the topic, please share them in our Comment box below. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Google+ to stay up-to-date on the latest from theAsianparent.com Philippines!

May katanungan tungkol sa pagpapalaki ng anak? Basahin ang mga artikulo o magtanong sa kapwa magulang sa aming app. I-download ang theAsianparent Community sa iOS o Android!