Dr. Lulu Marquez chimes in on what causes a sexless marriage, and what married couples can do to avoid and deal with this problem.
Dr. Lulu Marquez, host of the radio show Private Nights shared that more and more couples nowadays are suffering from a “sexless marriage.”
What is a sexless marriage?
According to Dr. Lulu, a sexless marriage can be described as:
“Walang sexual intimacy between the partners, pero mag-asawa sila. Nangyayari ‘yon,” the doctor explains. “Sa ibang couples, ang feeling nila, ‘roommates na lang kami.'”
“Ang marriage is not about sex. But it is [a] very important part ng buhay mag-asawa,” she adds.
She also mentioned that according to previous studies, couples who have been married for a long time tend to have less sex compared to couples who have been married for only a few years.
“Estimated 15 percent of married couples did not have sex with their wives in the last six months to one year,” she points out.
She also cites a number of reasons why couples stop having sex:
- Mismatched libido between partners
- A couple has recently fought
- Too much stress at home or at work
- Always feeling tired from work
- Side-effect of birth control
- Being bored with your partner
- Being addicted to pornography
What can couples do about it?
In order to deal with this problem, Dr. Lulu recommends that couples do the following:
- Patience is key. Change won’t happen overnight, so couples need to take it slow.
- Make sure to have open communication with each other. Be honest with each other and talk to one another.
- Even if you’re busy with the kids or with work, find the time to go out on dates.
- Mental attraction is just as important as physical attraction.
- Keep yourselves fit and healthy, and make yourself look good not just for your partner, but for yourself as well.
- For more complicated concerns, couples can seek counseling from marriage experts to improve their marriage.
At the end of the day, the most important thing is for couples to make an active effort when it comes to maintaining their relationship.