Whenever we leave our children to the care of someone else, we want to make sure that their well-being is taken care of and their safety ensured. This is where day cares come in.
Their staff members are usually trained in early childhood education so they know how to handle your children and how to nurture his growing skills. They also offer a stable arrangement.
Toddlers benefit from socializing with other children, which they may not get to do as often when a nanny or a relative care for them at home.
READ: Police arrest this man for molesting 7 children at a day care
Daycares are a godsend for busy parents who can’t look after their children on a daily basis.
So imagine the surprise of the Berry family when, upon arriving at Elephant in the Field daycare in Vermont to pick up Parker, they found out that the toddler was missing.
The last time they spotted Parker was when the staff and children were playing outside earlier in the day.
READ: How To Choose The Right Day Care Centre
Prompting a search from the daycare, the staff found Parker floating in a partially frozen stream behind the establishment and called 911.
They pulled the toddler from the water and rushed him to Vermont Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead.
The perfect day care
Sometimes, enrolling your children in a daycare is the best option for all the parties involved, especially if you’re someone who runs a tight ship. But choosing a daycare is no easy task.
Many things are to thought and considered. Here are some pointers to walk you through the choosing process.
- Visit the facility or home several times before making a decision.
- Meet the director and caretakers, and visit the rooms or the nursery where your child will be spending time.
- Look for warmth and responsiveness in caregivers.
- Get a sense of whether caregivers talk and sing to babies, and have ongoing interactions with every child.
- Are there plenty of play areas, and mobiles over each crib?
- Is the environment rich with stimulation—sounds and colors that increase a child’s awareness of his or her world?
- Is the facility clean? Does it have good sanitary procedures in the kitchen and diaper-changing areas?
If you have any insights, questions or comments regarding the topic, please share them in our Comment box below. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Google+ to stay up-to-date on the latest from theAsianparent.com Philippines!