Devoted mom carries daughter with cerebral palsy everywhere
This mother carries child with cerebral palsy to school everyday. Read on for full story of this dedicated, loving mom.
A mother’s love truly has no boundaries, as you are about to find out. Fu Yuantao is mom to a 12-year-old daughter, Peng Haixin, born with cerebral palsy. According to reports by Hunan Today, for the past 10 years, this devoted mother carries child with cerebral palsy as she is unable to walk. She has been carrying her to the school everyday for the past six years and even to the hospital as and when required.
Mother carries child with cerebral palsy: Their story
Peng says: “If I study harder, I will get a better job and buy my mom and dad a house. When they get older, if I am not able to care for them, I will find them a housemaid.”
Her parents are probably brimming with pride to hear these words from their daughter suffering from cerebral palsy.
Since 2006, the couple has spent more than 500,000 yuan on medical treatment for their precious girl. They never gave up trying to change their daughter’s life for the better.
Peng can neither walk nor carry out her daily activities on her own. She has to rely on others for pretty much everything. But she makes an effort to walk despite falling and has never missed homework or exams. Her parents’ love and encouragement keeps her motivated, and her spirit to keep trying is unfailing.
Quick facts on cerebral palsy
Cerebral palsy is a condition where the brain gets damaged, affecting movement and posture. Apart from that it can also hamper your child’s communication, learning and behaviour.
Here are a few things about cerebral palsy you need to know.
- At times only one side of the body may get affected.
- The causes are unknown in most cases.
- Most importantly, there is no cure for cerebral palsy.
Early intervention can help you and your child cope with this condition.
- As soon as you get to know about your child’s condition, visit a health centre. Get your child assessed. Also ensure that care is available to your child.
- Find out about centers that can provide help to children with disabilities.
- You can also hire experts who specialise in working with children who have disabilities.
- Keep in mind that the real treatment happens at home where you, as a parent, provide the necessary care and support to your child.
- You can also learn the basics of caring for your child with cerebral palsy.
What else can you do to help a child with cerebral palsy?
- Give your child lots of social opportunities to mingle with others as early as possible.
- Ensure that you encourage your child to mix up with able-bodied people as well.
- Talk to your child about the qualities or attributes that they have in common with others.
- Help your child develop their interests and hobbies.
- Teach them to deal with rejection as it happens to everyone, not only kids with disabilities.
- Focus on building their true identity rather than keeping it around their disability.
- Help them set limits as it is important for the safety of any child.
- Focus on their abilities and talent.
- Talk to other parents and understand how they are dealing with issues with their children.
- Encourage your child to talk to people about their disability in a positive, inspiring way.
Republished with permission from: theAsianParent Singapore