Questions that you should ask when interviewing a potential nanny
These questions should help you get a better idea of your potential nanny as well as if they will be a good fit for your household.
Having a nanny is an important family decision that shouldn't be taken lightly. As such, it's important to get only the best candidate when it comes to someone who will be living in your home and taking care of your family.
That's why we compiled a list of important questions that you should ask when interviewing a potential nanny:
Experience is extremely important when it comes to hiring a nanny. You need to look for someone that won't buckle under the stress of taking care of your kids as well as someone that has experience in handling all sorts of situations, including emergencies.
- How many years have you been a nanny?
- Can you share more about your previous work experience?
- Why did you leave your previous position?
- Do you have training in CPR as well as first-aid?
- Have you been in any seminars or training classes?
You and your nanny should be on the same page when it comes to raising your children. If you and your nanny don't see eye-to-eye regarding childcare techniques, then it will create unnecessary problems.
- How would you discipline a naughty child?
- What activities would you ask my child to do on a given day?
- What would you do if my child disobeys you?
- How would you handle fighting children?
- How do you handle kids that are picky eaters?
You also need to know if your nanny will be fine with doing a little cleaning and cooking here and there as well as more information about themselves, such as their plans for the future.
- Are you okay with cooking meals for kids? What recipes do you know?
- Would you be fine with some housekeeping duties? How will you keep the kids' room tidy?
- Under what circumstances should you call 911?
- How would your previous employers describe you?
- What are your plans for the future?
These questions should help you get a better idea of your potential nanny as well as if they will be a good fit for your household. It's important to be very stringent when it comes to hiring a nanny since a bad nanny can do a lot of harm to your family.
READ: Warning signs that you have a bad nanny
Be sure to check out theAsianparent Community for more insightful stories, questions, and answers from parents and experts alike. If you have any insights, questions or comments regarding the topic, please share them in our Comment box below. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Google+ to stay up-to-date on the latest from theAsianparent.com Philippines!