Sleep training is a great way to keep your baby from waking up in the middle of the night, and it also affords you a good night's rest!
A lot of parents-to-be are both excited and dreading the arrival of their little bundle of joy. They're excited because it's such an amazing experience to become a parent, but at the same time, taking care of a newborn isn't exactly the most fun thing in the world.
That's where sleep training comes in. In a nutshell, sleep training is teaching your baby to fall asleep and making sure that they're asleep throughout the night.
While there are a lot of different methods, including the hotly debated 'cry-it-out' method for sleep training, we'll be focusing on no tears methods.
Why the no-tears method?
A lot of people think that the no-tears method would just make babies become more dependent on their parents, but the key to the no-tears method of sleep training is making sure that your baby learns to sleep in their own time, and without the potential stress that can be caused by the cry-it-out method.
It's also much more comfortable for the baby, and helps a parent bond with their child more.
However, you should take note that currently, a lot of experts and pediatricians are still split on whether the no-tears or the cry-it-out method is better, so the important thing that you should take into consideration would be what you think is best for your baby.
How can I start with the no-tears method?
Here are a few tips and steps that can help you with the no-tears method of sleep training:
- Sleep is very important for your baby's development, so make sure to prioritize it, and create a sleep schedule. Sleep helps your baby's body develop, and it's vital to their growth. Make sure to establish a sleep schedule that you and your baby can follow since when it comes to sleep training, consistency is key.
- Make sure everyone's on the same page. When you're sleep training your baby, make sure to inform everyone in your household, as well as any caretakers for your baby. It's also important to consult it first with your pediatrician since they would know best.
- Track your child's sleep patterns. Knowing your baby's sleeping habits are important in creating a sleep schedule, so for about a week, just track how many times they wake up, and how long they sleep for. This will help you manage their sleep better.
- Create a routine. What really helps babies get into a good night's sleep is by creating a routine. You can try putting them to sleep right after a nice warm bath, and then sing songs to them, and cuddle them to sleep. Doing this everyday helps your baby get into the flow of things, and eventually they'll get used to it, making things much easier for you!
- Be flexible. There are a lot of benefits to different methods of sleep training, so it's important for you as a parent to be flexible and try out different tips if you think they'd work for your baby. There's no step-by-step guide when it comes to sleep training as all babies are different, so have an open mind, and try out different things to see what works best.
Be sure to check out ParentTown for more insightful stories, questions, and answers from parents and experts alike. If you have any insights, questions or comments regarding the topic, please share them in our Comment box below. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Google+ to stay up-to-date on the latest from theAsianparent.com Philippines!