WATCH: Brave father uses self as human shield to protect wife and child during Taiwan earthquake
Out of the heartbreaking devastation left behind by the recent Taiwan earthquake, there is one simple story of heroism that is inspiring people during this dark time. A brave father was willing to sacrifice himself to protect his wife and child.
In a CCTV video clip, the mom and child are seen lying on the bed while the father is working at a nearby desk. When the room starts to shake, the father lunges to the bed without hesitation. In a flash, he uses himself as a human shield to protect his family.
The shaking is so violent that the CCTV video doesn’t manage to capture what happens after that. You can watch the video clip below.
As of this writing, it is not known whether the family managed to stay safe during the earthquake. But since the CCTV footage has made it online, we hope it means they were rescued.
We will update this article as soon as we get any news on the family’s situation.
Taiwan earthquake: At least 10 dead, hundreds injured or missing
The 6.4 magnitude Taiwan earthquake struck on 6 February, 22 kilometers (13 miles) north of the coastal city of Hualien, a picturesque city known for beautiful hiking trails and gorges. The tourist city is home to about 100,000 people.
The powerful earthquake damaged roads and buckled bridges. It also toppled buildings — three hotels and a military hospital — trapping people inside.
As rescuers scoured the rubble to rescue as many as they could, aftershocks could still be felt days after the earthquake. A 5.7 earthquake shook the tourist city on 8 November, Thursday.
As of this writing, there have been at least 270 people injured, including both residents and tourists. The death toll has risen to 10. Dozens are still missing.
How to respond in the event of an earthquake
Living in Southeast Asia, many of us have experienced an earthquake at least once in our lifetime. Though it is terrifying to think about how we can never truly predict when the next one is going to strike, we can try to protect our ourselves and our families.
How? By always being prepared and knowing what to do when an earthquake hits.
- Make sure your home is earthquake proof. Contact a professional to check how they can rid your home of potential hazards. (e.g. unbolted bookcases, or loose cupboards).
- Designate a “emergency area” or a room in the house where your family should gather in the event of an earthquake.
- Make sure to keep an emergency go-bag stocked at all times. To find out what to put in it, read this article.
Here are important things to remember and to teach your kids, mums and dads!
- Once the shaking starts, DROP DOWN and TAKE COVER. Choose a sturdy desk or table and hold on until the shaking stops!
- Do not move until the shaking stops. Make sure you are safe before leaving your home or building.
- Stay away from shelves that aren’t bolted down or other furniture that’s not secure.
- If you live in a high-rise, keep clear of windows! (The fire alarms or sprinklers might be set off, too. Don’t panic.)
- If you are driving when an earthquake strikes, drive to a place where no trees or power lines can fall on you. Park there until the shaking stops.
- If you are walking outdoors when an earthquake strikes, drop down in a clear spot away from trees, buildings, and power lines.
Republished with permission from: theAsianParent Singapore