“I want other moms to know in case they have it,” mom warns others

lead image

“It was a clean cut in between the rung so it’s obviously happened because of the type of wood, not because it’s been pushed in or anything."

There’s nothing more terrifying than finding out that an item your baby gets in contact with is in fact dangerous.

So imagine a mother’s surprise when she realized that a wooden rung in her baby’s cot had snapped, exposing a sharp edge that could have potentially been lethal to her baby. 

In a Mama Mia story, mom Laura Bokody recalled the moment she found out about it.

“She woke up and cried and we went in to get her and pulled the blankets up,” she said, “and then I noticed one of the blankets was catching one of the rungs, so I had a look and noticed the rung had snapped.

“I Want Other Moms To Know In Case They Have It,” Mom Warns Others

“It was a clean cut in between the rung so it’s obviously happened because of the type of wood, not because it’s been pushed in or anything."

It doesn’t take a lot of effort for the the broken rung to accidentally harm a baby, especially with the edge of the rung.

"It was horrible,” the 26-year-old mom said. “I was horrified thinking anything could have happened. She could have rolled over. It could have flung up."

Laura said that she had purchased the IKEA SNIGLAR cot in a Sydney store.

Read Laura's Facebook post on the next page

“I just wanted other mums to know in case they have got that cot that there’s that potential fault in the cot and that something could happen," she said.

"Especially if they’ve got older kids. If it is a fault, toddler’s might be able to kick it and make the same thing happen.”

Laura has since filed a complaint to the retailer, and IKEA has told her that they’re now looking into the situation.

Apart from painting the cot, she said that she hasn’t done any modifications to it.

"I’m not sure if it’s just this one cot or if it’s a whole batch,” she said. “It’s definitely something they should look into, potentially looking at the quality of the wood. I definitely won’t be buying it again."

For now, Laura’s baby Eleanor has been sleeping in a bassinet.

On their part, the Swedish company has said that the safety of their products is the highest priority.

“All our products are tested to and comply with mandatory testing standards and legislation,"  an IKEA spokesperson said. "IKEA Australia has been in contact with the customer and is looking into it," they added.

READ: Keep your child safe with these crib safety tips

If you have any insights, questions or comments regarding the topic, please share them in our Comment box below or check out theAsianparent Community for more insightful parenting news and tips . Like us on Facebook and follow us on Google+ to stay up-to-date on the latest from theAsianparent.com Philippines!