Wi-Fi allergy caused teen girl's suicide, says mom

lead image

Her mother believes she did not want to die. Read Jenny's story here.

United Kingdom--When the lifeless body of 15-year-old Jenny Fry was found hanging from a tree, her mom blamed her rare allergy to Wi-fi and her school's negligence.

The tragic incident happened in June but due to the odd nature of the investigation, Jenny's story is now going viral.

According to her mother, Debra Fry, Jenny suffered from what is known as electro-hypersensitivity syndrome (EHS), a condition which causes blinding headaches, fatigue, concentration problems, and bladder issues.

The causes of these debilitating symptoms of EHS is said to be electromagnetic radiation from wireless technology, including Wi-Fi, cellphones, and cell towers.

Though Jenny's family took the necessary precautions such as removing their Wi-fi connection at home, it did nothing to alleviate her suffering because she was still being exposed to Wi-Fi at school.

“Both Jenny and I were fine at home, but Jenny continued to be ill at school in certain areas,” Debra told Yahoo News.

While at school, Jenny would often be given detention frequently because she had to leave in the middle of class to get away from the area near the wi-fi connection.

On the next page, learn more about Jenny's condition and pleas for help

Unnoticed pleas for help and EHS awareness

Debra believes her daughter's suicide was a cry for help.

On the day that she took her own life, she texted a friend about her intentions to commit suicide. But, unfortunately, her friend didn't have her phone with her so it was too late when she read the messages.

Debra told the Telegraph that although her daughter left letters about struggling to cope with her condition, she doesn't believe that her daughter wanted to die.

Though Debra told Simon Duffy, the head teacher at Jenny's school about her daughter's condition, he dismissed it saying, that many studies have proven that Wi-Fi is harmless.

“I also had a heated exchange with teachers telling them Jenny was allergic to Wi-Fi, and that it made no sense making her take detentions in rooms that were making her ill,” said Debra. “The least they could do was allow her to take them in rooms where she felt able to concentrate, but they wouldn’t listen.”

According to a 2005 report by the World Health Organization, EHS has no known cause and it is not directly linked to electromagnetic fields but they also concluded that “The symptoms are certainly real and can vary widely in their severity. Whatever its cause, EHS can be a disabling problem for the affected individual.”

The Washington Post reassured the public that exposure to Wi-fi does not pose any known risks to developing EHS.

Debra told the Telegraph, “Wi-Fi and children do not mix. Much more research needs to be done into this because I believe that Wi-Fi killed my daughter.”

Jenny’s parents are now trying to raise awareness about the dangers of Wi-Fi. Fry told Yahoo Parenting, “I am not against a bit of technology, but I do feel schools should be aware that some children are going to be sensitive to it and reduce its use.”

(photo source: twitter)

Read: Kid Safety Alert – Is a WiFi hotspot safe for children? 

If you have any insights, questions or comments regarding the topic, please share them in our Comment box below. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Google+ to stay up-to-date on the latest from theAsianparent.com Philippines!

May katanungan tungkol sa pagpapalaki ng anak? Basahin ang mga artikulo o magtanong sa kapwa magulang sa aming app. I-download ang theAsianparent Community sa iOS o Android!

Written by

Bianchi Mendoza