Parents Kevin Fowler, 25, and Aislyn Miller, 24, were arrested and will be facing charges after authorities found their twin children with maggots crawling out of their wounds, feces inside their ears, and malnourished bodies.
It was the ‘worst case of child abuse ever seen’ according to the nurses
The twins were taken to an urgent care center by their parents, where the attending doctors and nurses were alarmed by the state of the twins. They reported the incident to the police, saying that it was the “worst case of child abuse ever seen.”
The nurses were reduced to tears by what they saw, one nurse was reported as saying that the children “looked like skeletons.” Another said that she discovered a maggot crawling out of the baby’s genital area.
Both of the twins also suffered from severe diaper rash, bed sores, and one of them had feces inside the ear. Their injuries were so severe, that according to reports, the sex of one of the twins is still unclear.
They said that they were “new parents”
According to reports, Aislyn Miller said that she and her partner were both “new parents” and did not know how to take care of their children, but they were too inexperienced. She added that the twins were born 2 weeks premature, and that they were too poor to afford health insurance.
Miller added that the twins have not seen a doctor since birth.
Both of the parents have been jailed and are facing a bond of $100,000.
Go to the next page to learn more about preventing child abuse and neglect.
How can child abuse and neglect be prevented?
Preventing child abuse and neglect is important in making sure that all children are cared for and that all of their needs are met.
Here are a few steps that anyone can take to prevent child abuse and neglect:
- Be thoughtful when disciplining your children. You should never discipline your child if you feel upset or agitated. Wait for yourself to calm down, then discipline your child. Always remember that discipline is a way of teaching a lesson to your child.
- Reassess your behavior, especially towards your kids. Child abuse isn’t always physical. Abuse can also be emotional, so you need to try and think about whether or not your behavior towards your children is abusive.
- Make sure that your children know their rights. Making sure that your kids know their rights is also very important. Children should not that they have a right to feel safe, and to report anyone that threatens their safety and well-being.
- Know the signs of child abuse. It’s also important for parents and guardians to know the signs of child abuse. Any irrational behavior, unexplained injuries, or anything similar should warrant further investigation since it might mean that a child is being abused.
- Don’t be afraid to report child abuse when you see it. Always report any case of child abuse that you encounter. Don’t be afraid of the repercussions as your actions might save a child’s life.
READ: David Beckham’s tattoos inspire short film with haunting message about child abuse
Sources: independent.co.uk, nydailynews.com, dshs.wa.gov
Be sure to check out theAsianparent Community for more insightful stories, questions, and answers from parents and experts alike. If you have any insights, questions or comments regarding the topic, please share them in our Comment box below. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Google+ to stay up-to-date on the latest from theAsianparent.com Philippines!