During pregnancy, your body should be fueled with essential nutrients for you to maintain a healthy body, not just for you, but also for the little one inside your womb. And one of the significant nutrients you need is Calcium.
From strengthening your bones and joints, to supporting your baby’s development, calcium offers a lot of benefits while you are pregnant.
With lots of calcium supplements available on the market, we are lucky that we’ve found the best one for pregnant moms like you.
Get your daily dose of Calcium, vitamin D3, and other essential minerals with Unilab’s Calciumade.
In this article, know more about Calciumade, its benefits, safety, and other precautions.
Why do pregnant moms need calcium during pregnancy?
A pregnant mom needs to have enough calcium in her body to support her body’s changing needs, and at the same time, her baby’s needs.
The baby inside the womb gets the calcium they need from their mother for their growth.
Calcium is essential for fetal development, particularly for bone formation, teeth, heart, muscles, nerves, and hormones.
On the other hand, if the mom has low calcium levels in her body, this might lead to serious health issues. It is because her body won’t stop giving calcium to her little one even though it lacks calcium.
This can result in serious problems such as osteoporosis and other bone and teeth concerns. Calcium deficiency can also trigger the following health conditions:
- Hypocalcemia – a condition which results from having insufficient levels of calcium in the blood. Both pregnant women and infants are at risk of this condition.
- Preeclampsia – a disorder wherein pregnant moms tend to have high blood pressure, kidney damage, swelling of body parts and breathing difficulties.
This is how important calcium is for pregnant moms and for their babies. No wonder why health care providers always prescribe calcium supplements to all expectant moms.
All about Calciumade: What makes Calciumade distinct from other Calcium supplement brands?
Get to know more about Unilab’s Calciumade as we’ve listed some of the product’s important features:
- Calciumade is manufactured by Unilab, the country’s one of the best pharmaceutical companies providing quality medicines or supplements to every Filipino.
- Calciumade is a calcium supplement which helps strengthen bones and make joints flexible promoting optimal bone health.
- It contains the right amount of elemental calcium (Calcium Carbonate) which is 600 mg, enough to make bones stronger.
- It has 400 IU vitamin D3 (Cholecalciferol) for better calcium absorption.
- Formulated with other minerals such as magnesium (40 mg), zinc (7.5 mg) and manganese (1.8 mg) for smooth and flexible joints.
- Calciumade strengthens bone tissue to prevent bones from getting brittle.
- Safe for adults 18 years old and up, and even for pregnant and lactating moms.
- Calciumade can be safely taken by anyone with pre-existing conditions such as hypertension, diabetes, and osteoporosis.
- The brand is cheaper compared to other calcium supplement brands. Its price per tablet ranges from Php 10.14 to Php 10.25
Calciumade for Pregnant: Price
Listed below is the summary of Unilab’s Calciumade vitamins for pregnant women price based on packing size:
Note: Each item and price is up to date as of publication, however, an item may be sold out or the price may be different at a later date.
Benefits of taking Calciumade during pregnancy
Now you know that Calciumade is safe for pregnant women, you can now fuel your body with more calcium to achieve the recommended calcium intake for expectant moms which is 1,000 mg.
Read on to understand Calciumade’s beneficial effects during pregnancy:
- Supplies calcium in the body and helps maintain normal calcium level;
- Stronger bones, joints and teeth during pregnancy;
- Better calcium absorption;
- It prevents preterm births and preeclampsia;
- Fights osteoporosis;
- Helps avoid muscle and leg cramps during pregnancy;
- Aids calcium deficiency leading to supplying enough calcium to the baby;
- Essential on fetal growth activities such as strong bones and teeth formation;
- For a healthier development of baby’s heart, nerves and muscles; and
- Prevents slow growth of the baby.
Calciumade for pregnant side effects
Taking calcium supplements during pregnancy has potential side effects. It can make an expectant mom feel bloated, gassy, or constipated. This is why it is recommended to take Calciumade every after meals.
Dosing yourself with a large amount of calcium increases the risk of the development of kidney stones. This is another possible side effect of taking Calciumade during pregnancy.
Also, hypercalciuria and hypercalcemia may occur if the expectant mom has renal impairment or if the supplement is ingested in large doses. It is best to take the supplement following the recommended dosage.
Other important facts to note about Calciumade
Calciumade for pregnant best time to take
Calciumade is recommended to be taken twice a day every after meals (e.g. breakfast and dinner or lunch and dinner).
But, it is still important to seek professional advice before taking Calciumade vitamins during pregnancy.
Kidney stones and Calciumade
People are at risk for developing kidney stones if they are taking large doses of calcium. This is why it is best to follow the recommended daily intake of the supplement.
Also, if the person has pre-existing conditions, it is best to consult a healthcare provider to know the right dosage to take.
Thyroid problems and Calciumade
The component of Calciumade may interfere with absorption of thyroid hormone treatment when taken together.
Taking both calcium supplement and thyroid hormone supplement at the same time can decrease both supplements’ efficacy.
It is recommended to take Calciumade within a four-hour interval, before or after taking thyroid hormone supplement.
Another supplement you want to take while pregnant is folic acid vitamins, read more here: 5 Best Folic Acid Vitamins for Pregnant