Choosing a stroller for your newborn is not just a monetary investment, but an investment in your baby’s safety as well.
When you’ve got a baby on the way, the shopping for his necessities begin even before he comes out. You’ve got the crib, bottles, clothes, blankets and of course, you’ve got to get a stroller. But with all the strollers out in the market, choosing a stroller for your newborn is no walk in the park!
Like with all big purchases, it’s best to do your research. You can ask family and friends for recommendations, and you can go on-line, more importantly, you can begin your research here. Typical questions that are asked while stroller hunting may include the following:
- What activities will you need the stroller for?
- What features are you looking for?
- What is your budget?
- Do you have space for storing it?
- How will you transport it?
- Will you need an infant car seat with your stroller?
The Right Stroller for Your Newborn
There are several kinds of strollers in the market today, though only three are ideal for newborn: the stroller travel system, universal car seat carrier, and the carriage stroller.
Stroller Travel System
The stroller travel system offers utmost convenience for parents of newborns. It is a stroller with a fully detachable infant car seat that lets babies stay undisturbed while being brought out of the vehicle to the stroller.
- Offers big savings as it can be used up until your baby becomes a toddler
- Has many useful features such as sun shades, trays, storage baskets, and car seat base
- You don’t need to buy a separate car sea
- Very convenient for bringing baby out of the vehicle to the stroller
- Excellent for use in malls, parks or other paved walkways
- Design of stroller wheels allow easy steering
- Usually comes in trendy designs
- Has good quality if bought from a reputable brand
- Very big and heavy
- More expensive than other models
- Can’t be used on rough terrain
- Requires a big storage space
- Car seat can come off the stroller it not properly placed, posing a big risk for accidents
- Car seat cover is difficult to replace because you would have to find one that has a fabric that coordinates with that of the stroller
Universal Car Seat Carrier
The universal car seat carrier is actually just a metal frame with handles and wheels. You can just attach any infant car seat model into it. Basically, it offers the same convenience that a stroller travel system does minus the bulkiness.
- Less expensive, lighter, and smaller than the stroller travel system, but with the same convenience
- Ideal for use in paved pathways
- Allows easy steering
- Requires a small storage space
- Compatible with most infant car seat models
- Has very limited features
- Can only be used temporarily as baby will outgrow infant car seat quickly
- Not to be used in rough terrain
- If not attached properly, car seat can fall off the stroller posing a great risk for accidents.
This is a traditional bassinet affixed to a frame with four stroller wheels. This type is ideal for those who like the classic look of a traditional bassinet.
- Looks elegant and charming
- Provides comfort and stability that newborns need
- The bounce in them can make cranky babies feel better
- Perfect to use when strolling at the park or other public areas
- Large-sized shades provide adequate protection from the heat and the wind
- Very large and heavy
- Not recommended for use in places that are very crowded as it occupies a lot of space
- Needs a big storage space
- Cannot be folded so it is hard to transport
- Very expensive
Making the Decision
Choosing a stroller for your newborn is as difficult as any other pre-natal purchase as not only is it a big investment in monetary value, but with regards to your baby’s safety as well. So before making the big purchase, make sure that you’ve really done your research and that you’ve taken all your needs into account. Do you need it to be compact? Should it be able to carry several items? What features does it have to ensure the safety and comfort of your baby and the list of questions to be answered goes on and on. At the end of the day, if you feel that having a certain stroller is the one that brings you peace of mind is the one that is most helpful to you, then there you go, you may have found the one for you.
If you have any insights, questions or comments regarding the topic, please share them in our Comment box below. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter to stay up-to-date on the latest from theAsianparent.com Philippines!