Mother sacrifices her life to save son in e-scooter explosion
They were in the wrong place at the wrong time....
They say a mother will not hesitate to give up her life for her child. This is exactly what a brave and selfless mother did to save the life of her five-year-old son.
E-scooter Explosion Death: Mother Lays Down Her Life
The 34-year-old mother and her boy were walking to a garden near their home in Liaoning, China, reports the Straits Times.
As they were passing an apartment block, there was a huge explosion. It was reportedly caused by an exploding e-scooter that had been left charging at the entrance to the apartments.
The mother instinctively protected her child with her body during the blast, by shielding him with her chest, taking the full force of the explosion. There was no hope for her, though. Severely injured, she died on the way to hospital.
Reportedly, the selfless mother’s whole body was burned except for her chest and stomach area, against which she had hugged her boy’s head.
The Little Boy Survived Initially, But…
The little boy, protected by his mother’s hug, lived. However, he sustained severe burns and lost his eyesight. On the same day of the accident, the Straits Times reports that the child was transferred to five different hospitals for treatment.
Eventually, he was admitted to the Intensive Care Unit of a hospital in Shenyang. Sadly, four days later, he passed away from the severity of his injuries.
Here at theAsianparent, our hearts go out to the family of the mother and son. May mom and child find each other again, wherever they are.
E-Scooter Charging Safety Tips
This unfortunate mother-son death could have been avoided had that e-scooter not exploded. It’s likely that the blast occurred due to the battery overheating, or the device being over-charged.
Please remember these simple yet effective safety tips from the Singapore Civil Defence Force:
- Avoid overcharging the battery, especially overnight.
- When charging these batteries, lay them on a flat, hard surface so that heat spreads evenly and doesn’t collect in one spot.
- Do not keep the charging battery near combustible objects.