Little ones are always getting into trouble, so do your best to make your home safe for your kids!
Experts say that the number of children involved in accidents have doubled in the last eight years. Surprisingly, these injuries occur right in our homes. Here are few tips to help keep your home safe for your kids:
1. Remove any cords that can choke or strangle your kids.
2. Give your kids toys that are well made. Check manufacturers’ websites for products that have been recalled due to safety issues.
3. Avoid giving your kids toys that are very small or have very small parts.
4. Remove pots and plants out of your children’s reach.
5. Install gates at the bottom of stairs.
6. Use window guards to prevent your kids from climbing over windows.
7. Don’t allow your kids to play with plastic bags or deflated balloons.
8. Put matches and lighters in places where your children can’t reach them.
9. Secure all medicines, vitamins, cleaning chemicals, and other poisonous materials in locked or out-of-reach cabinets.
10. Always unplug electrical items when not in use.
Taking the mentioned tips into consideration, the best preventive measure against untoward incidents is vigilance. Never leave young children unattended and make sure that you sit your toddlers and big kids down for a talk regarding safety. It is important to constantly remind them of the surrounding dangers and to tell them that when in doubt of how to handle certain things, to always ask an adult. Children are never too young to learn about safety and in what better place first than their home.
If you have any insights, questions or comments regarding the topic, please share them in our Comment box below.
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Google+ to stay up-to-date on the latest from theAsianparent.com Philippines!