This amazing baby saves her family's life

This amazing baby saves her family's life

Baby Celia didn't even know she did it, but she saves her family's from carbon monoxide poisoning

When something goes amiss in our home, it is usually us who notices that something is wrong. The remote control is not on the desk? We notice. The lights have been left on? We notice. The faucet is dripping? Yes, we notice even that.

What can you read in this article?

  • A baby saves her family’s life
  • What is Carbon Monoxide poisoning?
  • How to prevent Carbon Monoxide poisoning

And yet when something terrible was happening in this Canadian mother’s home, it was neither her nor her husband who noticed it—it was their 1-year old baby who saves their family’s life.

A baby saves her family’s life

saves her familys life

Baby saves her family’s life. | Photo by Enrique Hoyos from Pexels

Monique chronicled this experience on her Facebook, saying, “This precious little angel did something extraordinary. Something she will not fully understand until she is grown. She literally saved our lives.”

“Celia typically wakes once per night. We always get up with her and help her back to sleep. On Friday at 3 am she stirred for the second time. I attempted to make my way to her room but only made it a few feet before being completely overwhelmed with vertigo.”

The next thing they knew Monique and her husband Kyle was attacked by a bout of dizziness, headache and nausea.

“We packed a bag and woke Celia. She began vomiting and as I held her my cat collapsed at my feet,” she continued wrote.

They called Kyle’s parents and they arrived in time to help just before he collapsed.

The family was taken to a hospital and treated for carbon monoxide poisoning and then airlifted to Vancouver where they underwent oxygen therapy in a Hyperbaric Chamber—equipment that helps a person’s blood carry more oxygen to their organs.

Safety is key

“Please ensure you have a Carbon Monoxide detector and that it works. We are so thankful Celia woke us. We often wished she would sleep through the night but we do not feel that way anymore. Our sweet sweet baby saved us all,” she wrote.

In the comments section of her Facebook post, Monique shared that the leak came from their furnace.

Moms, when was the last time you made sure that your gas lines are sealed tight? Maybe it’s time we start checking them on the regular.

This precious little angel did something extraordinary. Something she will not fully understand until she is grown.

Carbon Monoxide poisoning

Every year, more than 400 Americans die from unintended Carbon monoxide poisoning unrelated to fires, 20,000 people visit the ER, and 4,000 people are hospitalized.

Carbon monoxide is a deadly gas with no odor or flavor. Breathing it in can make you sick, and if you’re exposed to high levels, it can kill you.

Carbon monoxide poisoning happens when carbon monoxide builds up in your bloodstream. When there is too much carbon monoxide in the air, your body substitutes carbon monoxide for oxygen in your red blood cells. This can result in significant tissue damage or even death.

People who are sleeping or inebriated are most vulnerable to carbon monoxide poisoning. Before anyone recognizes there’s an issue, people may suffer irreversible brain damage or even die.

That’s why what happened to Monique and her family is really a great miracle.

Carbon Monoxide poisoning symptoms

saves her familys life

Photo by cottonbro from Pexels

You may not know it right away but Carbon monoxide poisoning can manifest the following symptoms:

  • Dull headache
  • Weakness
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea or vomiting
  • Shortness of breath
  • Confusion
  • Blurred vision
  • Loss of consciousness

Just like in the case of Monique and her family, they also experienced the same symptoms without even knowing that they’ve already been Carbon monoxide-poisoned.


VIRAL: 4 year-old, na-kidnap habang natutulog sa kaniyang crib

Sisters fighting over blowing out birthday candle in viral video: “It’s that relationship of sisters”

REAL STORIES: “Pagtingin ko, wala na. Si baby na pala ‘yung hawak hawak ko. Sobrang liit niya.”

Where do you get Carbon monoxide poisoning?

Inhaling combustion gases causes carbon monoxide poisoning. When you inhale too much carbon monoxide, your body replaces the oxygen in your red blood cells with carbon monoxide. This reduces the amount of oxygen available to your cells and organs.

Carbon monoxide is produced by a variety of fuel-burning equipment and motors. The amount of carbon monoxide emitted by these sources is usually insignificant. However, if they’re utilized in a closed or partially closed room carbon monoxide levels can quickly rise to deadly levels.

Carbon monoxide poisoning can also be caused by inhaling smoke during a fire.

In Monique’s family’s case, it was their gas lines.

How long does it take to get Carbon Monoxide poisoning

Low-level carbon monoxide exposure can cause symptoms that are comparable to food poisoning and the flu. However, it does not result in a high temperature.

With extended exposure to carbon monoxide, the symptoms can progressively worsen. Your symptoms may be milder when you’re immediately removed from the source of the carbon monoxide.

Your symptoms will worsen the longer you breath the gas. You may lose your sense of balance, eyesight, and memory, as well as consciousness.

If there is a lot of carbon monoxide in the air, this can happen in as little as 2 hours.

Long term effects of Carbon Monoxide poisoning

saves her familys life

Photo by cottonbro from Pexels

Carbon monoxide poisoning can result in the following complications, depending on the degree and period of exposure:

  • Permanent brain damage
  • Damage to your heart, possibly leading to life-threatening cardiac complications
  • Fetal death or miscarriage
  • Death

Causes of Carbon Monoxide leaking

Carbon monoxide is created when fuels like gas, oil, coal, and wood do not burn completely. It is formed by the combustion of charcoal, the operation of automobiles, and the inhalation of cigarette smoke.

Here are common domestic appliances that use gas, oil, coal, or wood as a source of fuel:

saves her familys life

Photo by Anıl Karakaya from Pexels

  • boilers
  • gas fires
  • central heating systems
  • water heaters
  • cookers
  • open fires

Make sure to always keep these appliances in check and in good condition.

How can you further prevent Carbon Monoxide poisoning? Read on.

Prevent Carbon Monoxide poisoning

Carbon monoxide poisoning can be avoided by taking a few simple precautions:

  • Install carbon monoxide detectors and make sure to regularly check their condition.
  • Every year, have a skilled expert service your heating system, water heater, and any other gas, oil, or coal-burning appliances.
  • Vent your gas appliances correctly. Because horizontal vent pipes for appliances should rise slightly as they approach the outside. Carbon monoxide will leak if the connections or pipes aren’t tight enough.
  • If your gas refrigerator emits an odor, have it serviced by a professional. It could be leaking carbon monoxide.
  • Never heat with a gas range or oven.

Lastly, if you have carbon monoxide poisoning in your house, you must locate and repair the source of the carbon monoxide. Before returning to the scene of the accident, make sure tor repair them. The fire department or utility provider in your area may be able to assist you.

Carbon Monoxide poisoning treatment

Carbon monoxide poisoning might have minor warning symptoms. However, the situation is a medical emergency that could result in death. If you suspect you or someone you’re with is suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning, immediately call you medical provider.


Additional information by Margaux Dolores


Mayo Clinic, CDC, NHS UK

Posted by Monique Ruppel on Sunday, January 17, 2016

Dito sa theAsianparent Philippines ay mahalaga sa amin ang makapagbigay ng impormasyon na wasto, makabuluhan at napapanahon ngunit hindi ito dapat gawing pamalit sa payo ng doktor, o kaya sa medical treatment. Walang pinanghahawakang responsibilidad ang theAsianparent Philippines sa mga nagnanais na uminom ng gamot base sa impormasyon sa aming website. Kung mayroong agam-agam, ay nirerekomenda naming magpakonsulta sa doktor upang makakuha ng mas malinaw na impormasyon.

Got a parenting concern? Read articles or ask away and get instant answers on our app. Download theAsianparent Community on iOS or Android now!