Summer has arrived, and it is the perfect time to enjoy the warm weather and sunshine. However, fun in the sun can come with a price if you fail to protect your skin adequately. Sunburn is a common skin problem caused by prolonged exposure to the sun's harmful ultraviolet rays. And to enjoy the sun safely, it is essential to understand the signs of sunburn, remedies, and tips for preventing it.
In this article, we will equip you with the right knowledge and tips about sunburn so that you will be prepared to have fun under the sun! So, keep on reading.
All about sunburn
Sunburn is a common problem during summer or when spending time outdoors for extended periods. It occurs when the skin is exposed to UV radiation from the sun, specifically UVB rays. The skin turns red, feels hot, and can even blister.
Secondly, it has both short and long-term effects, including skin damage, premature aging, and an increased risk of skin cancer. The damage caused by sunburn is cumulative, and the more often the skin is burned, the more likely it is to develop these issues.
It is essential to recognize the signs of sunburn and take necessary precautions to prevent it.
Signs of sunburn
[caption id="attachment_477311" align="aligncenter" width="1200"] Sunburn: Remedies & Prevention Tips To Have Fun Under The Sun[/caption]
Signs of sunburn include:
- Skin peeling
These symptoms typically occur within a few hours after exposure and can last for several days.
Remedies for sunburnt skin
There are remedies that can help alleviate the discomfort caused by sunburn. These are as follow:
- Applying cool compresses to the affected area to reduce swelling and inflammation.
- Taking over-the-counter pain relievers can also help relieve pain and reduce swelling.
- Using aloe vera or other soothing creams to help ease the pain and promote healing.
- Drinking plenty of water and staying hydrated can help reduce the severity of sunburn.
- Cool baths or showers can help soothe burnt skin.
However, it is important to keep in mind that these remedies are temporary solutions and the best approach to take necessary precautions to avoid overexposure to the sun.
Tips for preventing sunburn
Sunburn prevention is crucial in protecting the skin from the harmful effects of the sun's ultraviolet (UV) rays. Here are some tips to prevent it:
- Wear protective clothing: Covering up with long-sleeved shirts, pants, and hats can help shield your skin from the sun's rays. Look for clothing that has a UPF (ultraviolet protection factor) of at least 30.
- Apply sunscreen: Use a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF (sun protection factor) of 30 or higher. Apply it generously to all exposed skin, and reapply every two hours or more frequently if swimming or sweating.
- Seek shade: Avoid being in direct sunlight during peak hours, which are usually between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. If you need to be outside during these hours, seek shade under a tree or umbrella.
- Wear sunglasses: Protect your eyes from UV rays by wearing sunglasses that block at least 99% of both UVA and UVB rays.
- Be extra cautious near water and sand: These surfaces reflect sunlight, which can increase the intensity of UV radiation and the risk of sunburn.
But before you go, here are some of the sunscreen brands you can use to prevent having burnt skin:
First is the sunscreen from Earth Mama Organics which specializes in high quality, wholesome products formulated for mommies and babies alike. The Earth Mama Organics Mineral Sunscreen Lotion uses organic shea butter, calendula, and red raspberry oil. Raspberry oil is known to have the highest amount of naturally occurring SPF in plants. It also has some organic pomegranate oil to give some additional UV protection to your skin.
Some users of this product recommend giving the bottle a little kneading before you dab it on to let the natural oils mix better. While this sunscreen lotion may be made for your little one, you can still enjoy its all-natural sun protection.
Features we love
- organic shea butter, calendula, raspberry seed oil, pomegranate seed oil
- no chemical sunscreens, no artificial fragrance
If you’re looking for a sunscreen that works in any type of environment, look no further than All Good Sunscreen Butter. Formulated to give sun protection in extreme environments such as high elevation and long periods of time in the water, this is a sunscreen that can protect you wherever you go. It can even protect you from HEV or the blue light that comes from computer and phone screens.
This sunscreen comes in a butter formulation that is very smooth and creamy and blends in well to the skin. The hydrating coconut oil, beeswax, and jojoba oil keep this product easy to blend without feeling greasy or clogging the pores. Regular users of this sunscreen butter recommend putting it in small dabs to the skin and rubbing it in to let it absorb on the skin.
Features we love
- broad spectrum
- SPF 50
- protection from HEV (blue light) from screens
- made from reef-friendly ingredients
Sunblocks on the market are a little pricey. Luckily we’ve found an affordable brand that gives optimum protection against the harsh effects of the sun.
If you want a budget-friendly sunblock, the Orange and Peach Sunblock for Babies and Kids SPF 50 is a good fit.
Orange and Peach Sunblock is effective in protecting your little one’s skin from the harmful rays of the sun. It provides SPF 50 protection and shields skin from UVA/UVB rays.
In addition, the product is infused with coconut water for a hydrating and moisturizing effect. Furthermore, it does not contain any harmful chemicals.
What’s more to love with this budget-friendly sunblock is that it gives a light and non-greasy feel. This is because of the modern whipped technology used in producing it.
The product also claims that it is safe for corals and fish.
Features We Love:
- Whipped technology for a light and non-greasy feel.
By following these sunburn prevention tips, you can protect your skin from the damaging effects of the sun's UV rays.
[caption id="attachment_477313" align="aligncenter" width="1200"] Prevent having sunburnt skin by following these tips[/caption]
By knowing the early signs and symptoms of sunburn, you can quickly take action to avoid further damage. If unfortunately, you do get sunburnt, it's comforting to know that there are many remedies and treatments available to relieve symptoms and aid in the healing process.
Remember, prevention is always better than cure, so be sure to follow the tips and guidelines discussed in this article to avoid sunburn and enjoy the summer sun safely.