How would you react if your maid spilled boiling hot water on your little baby? This is exactly what happened to 7-month-old baby, Masha, from Singapore.
Her mom, Jinghan Naan’s reaction to the whole incident though, will leave you thinking.
Baby gets scalded with boiling water
In a recent Facebook post, mommy Jinghan Naan reveals what happened, “Yesterday, Masha got scalded with boiling water on her right arm.”
“Our new helper had just filled up the thermos when she saw Masha looking at her. In an attempt to amuse Masha, she shook the bottle in her hands, without realizing that the thermos wasn’t closed properly.”
“Water spilled out and hit Masha on her arm. Masha let out a sharp cry almost immediately.”
Horrified, the baby’s daddy Aizat sat on the toilet floor with Masha in his hands, and they ran cool water over her, “Blisters were already starting to form on her pink skin.”
The maid had been with the family for only a week, and she knew that she had made a terrible mistake.
Though she didn’t say a word, Mommy Jinghan was furious with the maid and remembers harboring hateful thoughts.
She writes, “I saw the helper’s hands tremble as she reached carefully in attempt to console Masha, but she never dared to make direct contact. She probably apologized to every single person in the house before we left for the hospital.”
Her husband tried to console her by saying that, “It was an accident boop,” but Jinghan remained silent.
Little Masha cried constantly at the hospital when they dressed her wound.
And her mommy couldn’t hold it in any longer, “My rage grew; my baby was suffering unnecessarily because of the helper’s carelessness.”
She had made up her mind. The maid had to be fired. And that was when her husband said those words to her…
Says Jinghan, “Aizat looked at and said, “Later when we go back…””
She completed the sentence for him, “Ya, we’re going to send her back. She’s fired.”
He clarified, “Later when we go back, ask if she’s ok.”
Jinghan couldn’t believe what she had just heard, “But this is her fault!”
But her hubby explained, “The water probably spilled on her as well. We didn’t even bother to ask if she was ok. She’s human too.”
Knowing that his wife was far from convinced, he gently persuaded her to tap into her inner humanity, “Ask her if her hand is fine, ok? This is what prophet would do.”
Those words were to change Jinghan’s perspective and served as a huge lesson for her. She realised that how you behave when times are tough is what defines your character.
As she writes, “I hope that by sharing this, we can all practice more kindness, patience and compassion in the most trying of times.”
And for those of you wondering about the maid and little Masha, here is her latest update, “Yes, our helper is still with us! She suffered a small burn but it has healed.”
“Masha is recovering extremely well. I don’t think she even feels it! Some parts are still quite raw and bleeding a little but it doesn’t seem to bother her.”
Thank you so much, Jinghan for sharing your lovely story of compassion. It has surely inspired us to look at things a little differently. It also reminds us to be cautious when handling hot liquids around babies.
Moms and dads, if (God forbid) your baby gets scalded, here is what you need to do:
- Immediately put the burned area in cool — not cold — water or under a faucet. Keep the injury in water for at least 5 to 15 minutes. Do not use ice.
- If the clothing is stuck to the skin, do not attempt to peel it away.
- Cover the burn by using nonstick gauze or a clean cloth.
- If the burn is mild, you may put on antibiotic ointment. Don’t put butter, grease, or anything else on the burn, and do not pop any blisters.
- Give your child acetaminophen or ibuprofen to relieve pain if your child is aged 6 months and older. Follow the dosing instructions on the bottle. Consult a pediatrician first if your child has never taken this medication before.
- Take your child to the doctor if the burn is oozing or seems infected (red, swollen, tender).
- Seek medical attention immediately if:
- The burned area is charred or white.
- Electric shock or chemicals caused the burn.
- The burn is on the face, hands, feet, genitals, or a joint.
- The burn covers 10% or more of the body.
(Additional source: WebMD)
Republished with permission from: theAsianParent Singapore