Save money as you help foster your child's cognitive skills by making your own kinetic sand
Playing with sand is a great way to develop your child’s imagination, fine motor skills, hand & eye coordination, and so much more. And now, with the introduction of kinetic sand, playing with sand isn’t as messy as it used to be. Kinetic sand is also easier to mold than normal sand, making it ideal for your little ones.
But kinetic sand at toy stores usually come at pretty high prices. 12 ounces of kinetic sand typically cost US$20. You can save so much by just making your own! Here’s a DIY Kinetic Sand recipe from BabyFirstTV.
All you need is:
- Fine sand; the finer the better! (1 cup)
- Cornstarch (1.5 cups)
- Dish soap (1 tsp)
- Water (1.5 cups)
- Food coloring (optional)
Here’s what you should do:
1. Mix sand and cornstarch in a bowl.
2. Add dish soap. This is supposed to prevent bacteria or mold from growing on the sand.
3. Add enough water so that the sand and cornstarch mix together. According to About Education, it’s alright for you to add a bit more of any ingredient so you get the consistency you want.
4. Add food coloring.
5. Let it dry for 1-2 hours.
Your sand will dry up over time. When this happens, just add more water!
On the next page: how to make the most of sand play.