When it comes to toddlers, there are certain items that have over the decades become staple products in the household. The bibs, the pacifiers, the walker, mobile, crib, and then the sippy cups.
Because almost everyone of has used a sippy cup during childhood, you’d think that it’s safe, right? A Facebook post from this English father will make you think again.
For some weeks now, Craig Beresford’s daughter had been complaining of stomach aches. At first he couldn’t figure out what was causing it: he and and his wife had been monitoring what they let their daughter eat.
READ: How to clean your kids’ toys
It wasn’t until he was cleaning one of her sippy cups and saw what was in it that the realization dawned on him.
“Although we have been absolutely meticulous cleaning the bottle and cap every day, including dispersible sterilizing tablets, the cap has been making our 7 year old daughter poorly,” he said.
In the photo he shared, you could see patches of mold clinging onto the crevices of the cup.
READ: 8 Things moms must know about germs and handwashing
“I took a sharp knife and broke the cap apart,” he continued. “It isn’t designed to be taken apart and requires a bit of force to disassemble. The internal components have been hoarding bacteria.”
The post went viral like wildfire, and soon parents began dismantling their children’s own sippy cups, and found out that theirs too were harboring molds, going so far as uploading the photos on the comments section.
Mold seeks these three components to thrive: moisture, warmth and food. A good measure to prevent molds from growing is make sure you keep an eye out for these three components, that and conducting regular cleaning.
Submerging these cups in boiling water for a few minutes in an effective way to disinfect them. Scrubbing crevices and hard to reach areas with a brush will also ensure that they’re free of molds.
The more regular these cleanings are the better, especially if the get in direct contact with your children.
Mold comes in thousands of different strains, but only a few, including the notorious Stachybotrys chartarum, aka black mold, produce toxins. But just like with anything, it’s better to be safe than sorry.
If you have any insights, questions or comments regarding the topic, please share them in our Comment box below. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Google+ to stay up-to-date on the latest from theAsianparent.com Philippines!