Five-year-old Khloe Russell from California had a mysterious disease, suffering from a runny nose that lasted for half a year. It was so bad that the child had to stop every five minutes to blow her nose.
“About six months ago, her nose just started [running] out of this one side,” Katelyn told reporters. “Green, green, green constantly and it stunk.”
Khloe never complained of pain, but her mother, Katelyn Powell, brought her daughter to three different doctors.
But when they examined her, all three doctors determined that she had sinus infection, and they prescribed antibiotics.
READ: Is Your Home Safe for Your Kids?
They had no effect on Khloe.
“We went home, did 10 days of medication, didn’t work,” recalled Katelyn. “We took her even to the dentist because we thought it was her teeth—nothing.”
Eventually, they found out what had been going on when Katelyn’s brother visited them one weekend and had Khloe blow her nose.
“My brother was like, ‘Your nose, it’s disgusting. Blow your nose, blow your nose.’ And she blows it and out comes the safety pin,” Powell said.
Measuring about 1.5 inches long, the safety pin was black and disintegrating and bigger than Khloe’s nose.
She then asked her daughter if she stuck it up her nose. Khloe did, but she forgot to tell her mother.
READ: Why you should child proof your home: toddler wanders out of home, falls into a pond, and drowns
Katelyn later clarified to a news report that she had they did blow Khloe’s nose constantly, but failed to find the safety pin.
“She found a safety pin and being a kid wanted to stick it up there to see how far it would go and thought she dropped it not realizing it had lodged itself in her nose,” the mother of the five-year-old said.
“We went to the same doctor and to urgent cares contracted through our doctors when there wasn’t an available appointment.
“All the doctors looked up her nose but didn’t see anything. My daughter didn’t mention anything because she didn’t realize it had gone into her nose.”
After the news coverage of what happened to her daughter aired, she admitted that she has been getting a few hate mails for being a lousy parent, criticizing her parenting skills.
“I hope people can understand that this can happen to their children and that it doesn’t make their children stupid for doing it or not saying anything after.”
In a Facebook post Katelyn uploaded, she said that Khloe is feeling much better after the pin came out of her nose.
“Khloe is healing like a champ!”
If you have any insights, questions or comments regarding the topic, please share them in our Comment box below. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Google+ to stay up-to-date on the latest from theAsianparent.com Philippines!