Heads up, moms! Tommee Tippee Sippee Spill-Proof Cups has been cecalled by Mayborn USA due to fears of mold exposure.
According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, mold can develop on the removable, one-piece, white valve inside the spill-proof Tommee Tippee Sippee cups when it remains moist and is infrequently cleaned.
“The CPSC advises that mold ingestion poses a risk of gastrointestinal symptoms and infections in consumers with compromised immune systems.”
If you happen to own the product, the CPSC advises that you immediately stop using the recalled product and contact Mayborn or the store in which you purchase the item to receive a free replacement cup.
Further details about the products being recalled:
This recall involves five types of spill-proof Tommee Tippee Sippee cups all with a removable, one-piece white valve.
The five types include: First Sips Transition cup, Trainer Sippee cup, Sippee cup (including Cute Quips), Sportee bottle and Insulated Swiggle/Sippee tumblers.
The plastic drinking cups have spill-proof tops, easy-grip sides with detachable handles and were sold in clear with colored lids and a variety of colors and character prints.
Some of the cups include short phrases on the front of the cups including: “You Pour I’ll Fling,” or “Drink Drop Repeat.”
The cups have a 7 to 10 oz. capacity and were sold for children ages 4 to 12 months.
Net page, learn how you can prevent mold thriving
Mold seeks these three components to thrive: moisture, warmth and food. A good measure to prevent molds from growing is make sure you keep an eye out for these three components, that and conducting regular cleaning.
Submerging these cups in boiling water for a few minutes in an effective way to disinfect them. Scrubbing crevices and hard to reach areas with a brush will also ensure that they’re free of molds.
The more regular these cleanings are the better, especially if the get in direct contact with your children.
Mold comes in thousands of different strains, but only a few, including the notorious Stachybotrys chartarum, aka black mold, produce toxins. But just like with anything, it’s better to be safe than sorry.
READ: Horrified dad finds mold in her daughter’s sippy cup
If you have any insights, questions or comments regarding the topic, please share them in our Comment box below or check out theAsianparent Community for more insightful parenting news and tips . Like us on Facebook and follow us on Google+ to stay up-to-date on the latest from theAsianparent.com Philippines!