In one of the most unusual birth stories we’ve heard so far, a Russian mom delivered her little one in the Red Sea by the resort town of Dahab in Egypt. Beautiful images of the mom and newborn are now emerging, leaving netizens totally mesmerized.
Unusual birth stories: Russian tourist delivered her baby in the ocean
According to some reports, the mom is a Russian tourist and had travelled all the way to this resort town to give birth in the special waters of the Red Sea.
The mom-to-be was accompanied by her husband and her doctor, who specializes in water births. Before labor started, the Russian woman had gone for a swim. But it looks like her labor started just then. Her partner and doctor followed her and helped in delivering the baby.
Unusual birth stories: Placenta put in the bowl | Image: Facebook
Reportedly, the placenta was put in a bowl after the birth. The baby was then carried out while the umbilical cord was still attached. Apparently, it was a seamless delivery.
Mohamed El Said, the owner of the hotel Dar Dahab, took these incredible pictures from one of the hotel balconies. Hadia Hosny El Said, his niece, shared the beautiful pictures on her Facebook page and since then, they have been breaking the internet.
Unusual birth stories: Father bringing the newborn out | Image: Facebook
The images show the father coming out of the water with the newborn. Other pictures show the mom coming out after a post-delivery swim. She can also be seen greeting her other child on the beach.
Unusual birth stories: What do you need to know about water birth?
Unusual birth stories: Baby was delivered in the Red Sea. | Image: Facebook
Giving birth in water has both benefits and risks. While moms can choose to deliver in a warm water tub (which is a controlled environment), having a baby in an uncontrolled body of water, like the Red Sea, may have risks.
Benefits of a water birth
Unusual birth stories: Mom comes out after a swim | Image: Facebook
- The warm water is soothing to the mother in pain.
- The water can be instrumental in increasing the woman’s energy at the later stages of labor.
- The buoyancy helps in reducing the body weight of the mother and allows free movement and new positions. It also promotes better uterine contractions.
- It helps in improving the blood circulation. This in turn results in better oxygenation of the uterine muscles, reduced pain for the mom and increased oxygen for the baby.
- It also helps in lowering blood pressure, which can shoot up due to anxiety.
- The stress-related hormones also get reduced. This further allows the mom’s body to produce endorphins that work as pain-inhibitors.
- The perineum also becomes more elastic and relaxed because of the water. As a result it helps in reduced incidences or severity of tearing. This also brings down the need for episiotomy and stitching.
- Physical relaxation helps in mental relaxation and the mom can focus on the process of birthing.
- For the baby, it feels similar to being in the amniotic sac, which reassures the baby and builds a sense of security.
Unusual birth stories: risks involved in a water birth
Although water birth has some really amazing benefits, it does have its flip-side too. Especially when choosing an ocean to give birth instead of a controlled labor room environment, you may need to consult your doctors beforehand.
- The water can be rough or turbulent.
- From a hygiene perspective, it may not be safe.
- Doctors may not be in control of the situation.
- Doctors may not be well-prepared for an emergency.
- It may lead to other water birth related complications such as water embolism or water aspiration.
Unusual birth stories: Here are a few situations when water birth may not be advised
Unusual birth stories: Russian woman who gave birth in Red Sea | Image: Facebook
- If the mom has herpes, as it can be easily transferred through water
- When the baby is breech
- In case of excessive bleeding or maternal infection, avoid water birth
- If you have multiples
- If you have toxemia or preeclampsia
So moms, while it is okay to get adventurous about your baby’s birth, do keep the risk factors in mind. Consult your doctors about how you would like to deliver and do follow their advice.
Also READ: Singapore dad delivers baby on highway!
Sources: Fox News, American Pregnancy
Image source: Facebook
Republished with permission from: theAsianParent Singapore