5-year-old girl dies after being left in locked car: an urgent safety reminder
Another tragic story highlights the risks of leaving your child alone in a car, as a five-year-old girl dies of suffocation after she was left in a hot car.
Due to the forgetfulness of a well-meaning teacher, a five-year-old girl dies of suffocation in a freak accident. What happened serves as a grim reminder to all of us too, about the very real possibility of forgetting a child in a vehicle.
Teacher Distraught After the Girl Dies of Suffocation
According to Thai reports, the teacher picked up the five-year-old girl from her home because the school bus wasn’t working.
When they arrived in school, the teacher locked the car, forgetting that the child was still inside. At around 4:30 p.m., the teacher went back to her car and realized her grave mistake. She had left the little girl all alone inside a hot car. But it was too late for the young girl.
Based on a post-mortem conducted by a local hospital, the little girl had died of suffocation as the car’s doors and windows were closed, and the car was left in sunlight all day.
Phayung Lekdee, the district chief, said that the teacher had completely forgotten the child was in the car. He also added that she is currently in shock after the tragic incident.
Never Leave Your Kids Alone in Cars!
It’s important for moms and dads to know that it’s never a good idea to leave your young child alone in a car. It doesn’t matter if you’re only leaving them for a bit, or even if you turn the A/C on.
Many parents make this simple mistake, but it can have costly consequences.
Leaving your child alone inside a car exposes them to risks such as suffocation, heat stroke, and even carbon monoxide poisoning.
Most of these cases are also a result of adults forgetting that they have a kid inside their car.
In order to avoid making the same mistake, make it a point to double check and inspect your car before you leave. A tip is to always place an important item, such as your handbag, in the back seat of the car near your child. This simple step can help save your child’s life.
Source: Straits Times
Republished with permission from: theAsianParent Singapore