Concerned about your baby’s skin? Here are the top 6 expert tips for you
We highlight the top 7 tips to take care of your baby's skin Your baby's skin is extra-sensitive, so it needs proper care.
A baby’s skin is as soft as petal, fragile as an iridescent bubble, and oh-so touchable. This is why you cannot help but cover your little love’s skin in petal-kisses all day and night! Moms, you’d have to agree that there’s nothing as delicious as inhaling the fragrance of your baby’s skin right after a bath, or feeling its velvety smoothness, right?
The delicate nature of a little one’s skin is also why moms look for ways to protect it, maintaining its softness all the time. According to experts, a baby’ skin is thinner and more prone to irritation, and this makes it prone to infant skin conditions such as diaper rash and eczema.
Easy solutions on infant skin issues:
If you’re concerned about your baby’s skin, these expert tips will help to keep it smooth, soft, and protected:
1. Gentle bath-time
Bath-time is perfect for mommy and baby to bond, and is an essential ritual in your little one’s day. A warm bath just before bedtime helps to soothe and calm your baby. Regular baths can also help keep your baby feeling cool and fresh in hot weather.
As much as your little one might love the water, it is important that you don’t let them stay in it for too long, as this may dry out their sensitive skin.
During a bath, use a mild and moisturizing soap and shampoo, and in between baths, rub your baby down with a wet washcloth. You can try using the new Baby Dove Rich Moisture Hair to Toe Baby Wash and Rich Moisture Shampoo which has a tear-free and hypoallergenic formulation. Going beyond just mild cleansing, its unique ¼ moisturizing cream helps to replenish the essential moisture and nutrients that your baby’s skin can lose during bathtime, leaving it feeling touchably soft and smooth. This product’s rich, creamy lather creates plenty of bubbles, while helping to leave your baby’s delicate skin clean, moisturised and soft.
To maintain the softness of your baby’s skin, it is important to keep it moisturized at all times. This is even more essential for little ones prone to dry skin or conditions such as eczema. Irrespective of the skin type, experts still recommend using a good moisturizer every day.
The best time to apply baby lotion is just after their bath. Pat it onto your baby’s skin gently, or apply it while giving your little one a soothing massage. As mentioned earlier, remember to select a baby lotion free of fragrances and other additives. The new Baby Dove Rich Moisture Lotion, and the Baby Dove Sensitive Moisture Lotion are great choices for your baby!
It’s easy to get confused by the wide variety of baby skincare products out there. But really, you only need to remember the following when choosing a good product for your baby’s skin:
- Select a soap-free body wash and tear-free shampoo.
- Avoid products that are heavily fragranced or have harmful additives.
- Go for baby products that are not only mild but also moisturizing. This is important because a baby’s skin loses moisture up to five times faster than an adult’s skin. Baby Dove has a range of products that comes with added moisturizer such as Baby Dove Rich Moisture Hair to Toe Baby Wash, Baby Dove Rich Moisture Baby Bar, Baby Dove Rich Moisture Nourishing Baby Lotion, Baby Dove Rich Moisture Shampoo and Baby Dove Rich Moisture Baby Care Wipes.
4. Watch the diaper area
If you want to maintain that proverbial softness a baby’s bottom is known for, it’s crucial to protect it from diaper rash and other nasty skin conditions.
It is not surprising that babies are prone to such rashes in the diaper area. Contact with urine and feces cause these irritations. Urine is acidic in nature and may lead to the development of red, itchy and painful areas on the skin.
A sure-fire way to deal with this problem is to do the following:
- Change baby’s diaper often and as soon as it is soiled.
- As a rule of thumb, avoid using strong detergents when washing cloth nappies.
- Apply a zinc oxide cream on the skin of your baby’s diaper area. This creates a barrier between the skin surface and dirty diaper.
If your little one develops a nasty diaper rash, it’s best to consult your pediatrician for advice on how to manage it. Ensure that it is cleansed properly with Baby Dove Rich Moisture Baby Care Wipes during on-the-go emergencies.
5. Protection from the sun
Baby’s tender new skin needs protection from the sun! Because baby’s skin contains less of the pigment that blocks the harmful Ultraviolet (UV) rays, parents are advised to avoid exposing their baby’s skin to the sun for the first six months.
However, infants also need sunlight to produce vitamin D, so you won’t be able to avoid sun exposure completely. That’s why for little ones of all ages, experts suggest they avoid exposure to the sun when the its rays are at their strongest: between 10AM and 3PM.
This doesn’t mean that you should stay indoors at all times with your precious baby. When it’s sunny outside and you feel like stepping out, simply take the following protective measures:
- Shield your baby’s face and scalp with a wide-brimmed sun hat.
- Dress your baby in comfortable cotton clothing. A long-sleeved top or onesie will provide extra protection for their soft skin. Use the cover of your stroller, or an umbrella if baby is in your arms, to protect them from the sun.
- Finally, make sure to pat on a specially formulated sunscreen for babies on any exposed areas of their skin. Bring the sunscreen with you so you can re-apply if needed.
6. Prevent chafing
Chafing occurs when there is friction between clothing and skin, and it can leave baby very uncomfortable. The best way to handle this is to avoid dressing baby in tight clothes. Also avoid clothes with straps or garments made of stretchy materials such as lycra.
You can also prevent chafing on the diaper area and on those chubby thighs, by using a gentle moisturizing lotion — which brings us to our next point.
Moms, as they say, knowledge is power. These tips should give you the confidence to take care of your precious baby’s delicate skin, and maintain its kissable softness!
Check out the full range of Baby Dove products here to provide the best care for your little one.