Have you got a lovely smile but awful breath? Read on to find some tips that can help you out!
Halitosis, commonly known as bad breath, is an embarrassing condition to have because most people don’t even know that they suffer from it! When accustomed to your own smell, one cannot tell when something is off so an individual suffering from bad breath may have to rely on the kindness of family or friends to point out this problem to them. As embarassing as that may be, the good news is, once detected, one can quickly remedy it and be rid of bad breath for good!
What causes bad breath?
Bad breath is usually caused by food that we eat. For instance, expect your breath to smell differently after having beer and onion rings. Stay away from coffee (if you can), Indian curry, horseradish, garlic, and tuna sandwiches, as all of these are known to make people’s breath stink.
Apart from your choice of food, there are also medical conditions that may trigger a bad case of halitosis. These are usually related to dental hygiene and periodontal care. Gum diseases, untreated tooth cavities, dental appliances that do not fit your mouth properly, yeast and other bacterial infections of the mouth, an excessively dry mouth, a tooth abscess, and broken teeth are some known causes.
How do you get rid of bad breath?
There are people who spend their lives popping mints and brushing vigorously but still have bad breath. This is because they are unable to identify the cause of their problem. Knowing why you have bad breath is winning half the battle. The next thing to do is to try the following steps towards fresher breath:
- Make sure that your mouth is always clean. Brush properly and carefully when you wake up in the morning and before you go to bed at night. Bacteria breaks down food caught between the teeth, and releases foul smelling gases at the same time.
- Floss after brushing to pick out any leftovers from the hard to reach areas between your teeth. Your brushing routine should not be a ten-second thing.
- Keep yourself hydrated at all times. If your mouth is dry, bacteria begins to grow in it. Drink lots of water; it is beneficial for your oral and overall health.
- Avoid food that causes bad breath, such as those listed above. Food with strong flavors, like onions and garlic, can cause temporary halitosis. Don’t ruin a perfect date by ordering offensive dishes!
- Try using mint-flavored mouthwash twice a day. Not only will it help get rid of bad breath, but it will also help keep your breath fresher for a longer period of time.
Your oral health is very important. Going for regular dental care can help you avoid the embarrassment of having bad breath, not to mention that doing so will give you a beautiful, fresh smile.
If you have any insights, questions or comments regarding the topic, please share them in our Comment box below.
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Google+ to stay up-to-date on the latest from theAsianparent.com Philippines!