Maternity photoshoots are a beautiful way to capture the moment you expect a new baby. But if you’ve never had one before, the thought of being in front of the camera can be daunting. Here are some tips to help you make your maternity photoshoot stunning.
When to take a maternity photoshoot
For many expectant mothers, the arrival of a new baby is an exciting time. Even though there are a lot of things to do before your baby is born, one important task is to schedule a maternity photo shoot. This will help you capture these special memories that you will cherish for a lifetime.
But when is the best time to take these photos? Some mums-to-be prefer to schedule their shoot during the second trimester. It’s when they start to show but still feel comfortable and energetic.
Others wait until the third trimester when their belly is larger and more round. And some women wait until their baby is born to capture those early bonding moments.
There is no wrong answer – it just depends on what you want your photos to look like.
No matter when you schedule your maternity photo shoot, find a photographer that makes you feel comfortable. Someone who will help you capture this special time in your life.
Outdoor maternity photoshoot | Image from Pexels
What to wear during maternity photoshoot
In maternity photography, there are a few things to keep in mind.
- First, you want to make sure you’re comfortable. You’ll spend a lot of time standing and walking around, so wear shoes that you can move in quickly.
- Second, you want to choose clothing that flatters your figure. Use a fitted dress or shirt that will accentuate your curves. Meanwhile, a flowing dress will provide a more ethereal look. Choose fabrics that drape nicely. Silk and linen are both excellent choices.
- Third, make sure your clothing is comfortable. You don’t want to be tugging at your clothes or feeling uncomfortable during your shoot.
- Fourth, consider the location of your shoot. If you’re outdoors, you’ll want to avoid wearing dark colors that will absorb heat.
- Fifth, consider adding a pop of color with a scarf or piece of jewelry.
- And finally, have fun with it! Maternity photography is a special time to capture the beauty of motherhood.
So relax, enjoy the experience, and let your inner goddess shine.
How to pose during a maternity photoshoot?
A pregnant woman knows a lot to think about her impending delivery. One important thing you might overlook is how to best pose during a maternity photoshoot.
While it might seem minor, your pose can impact how your photos turn out. Here are a few tips to help you get the most flattering images possible:
- Get in close. It will help highlight your baby bump and make it the photo’s focal point.
- Stand with your weight evenly distributed on both feet. Or place one foot slightly in front of the other for a more graceful look.
- Avoid standing straight on. Instead, turn your body to the side, so you’re not facing the camera head-on. It will create a more flattering angle.
- Play up your curves. Pregnancy is about embracing your curves, so don’t be afraid to show them off!
- Put your hands on your belly. It is a classic pregnancy pose that always looks beautiful in photos.
- And finally, don’t forget to smile! A genuine smile is the best way to show off your radiant pregnancy glow.
Relax and have fun – The best photos are usually the ones where you look like you’re having the time of your life! So relax, enjoy yourself, and let your personality shine through.
However, don’t feel like you have to be standing and being on point at all times. Let your photographer know if you need to take a break and have a glass of water.
Pregnancy photo shoot poses with husband
Image Source: iStock
One of the most memorable moments during pregnancy is sharing the news with your partner. And what better way to commemorate this time than with a joint pregnancy photo shoot? Here are some fun and creative ideas for poses that you and your husband can try:
- For a sweet and sentimental shot, have your husband place his hand on your belly. While looking down at you with adoration.
- If you want to show off your baby bump, try a pose where your husband holds you from behind as you cradle your stomach.
- Capture the excitement of impending parenthood! Pose where both look down at your stomach with amazement.
- Do a funny and playful photo. Have your husband feed you a carrot or other food associated with pregnancy cravings.
Whatever pose you choose, capture the love and connection you and your husband share. These photos are memories you will cherish. Have a wonderful time in your life.
Where to have the photoshoot
Now that you’re pregnant, it’s time to start thinking about your maternity photoshoot! There are a few things to consider when choosing the perfect location.
You’ll want to choose a location that has special meaning to you and your family. It could be the place where you first met. Somewhere you got engaged, or even the spot where you’ll be welcoming your new baby into the world. A meaningful location will help you look back on your photos with fond memories for years to come.
Also, think about the style of photos you want. Do you want something natural and outdoorsy? Or are you looking for a more polished and glamorous look? It will help narrow down your options.
Next, consider the logistics of the shoot. Will you need changing areas or restrooms nearby? Are you comfortable walking long distances? Once you’ve considered these factors, it’s time to start scouting locations.
The beach is always a popular choice for maternity shoots. But other good options include parks, gardens, and urban landscapes.
You can find the perfect spot to capture this special time in your life with a little planning and creativity.
Ideas for maternity photos
Maternity photos are a great way to capture the moment when your body changes. And you feel so many different things.
Whether you’re having a boy or girl, what’s important is that you feel comfortable in front of the camera. Because that’s what will come across in the photos. So, consider what props and accessories might make you feel most comfortable.
Props and accessories
Here are some ideas for maternity photos:
- Use props that represent your pregnancy. If you’re expecting a boy, use a football or basketball; if you’re expecting a girl, use something like a toy car or doll.
- Use props that represent something about yourself. If you’re into art, use paintbrushes or paint; if you love animals, use some stuffed animals on hand!
- Use props that represent something about your partner. If he loves baseball, have him wear his favourite team’s jersey. Let him sit on an old baseball glove. If she loves books, have her hold up some paperbacks—it doesn’t matter what they are! Ensure they’re things they love, and they’ll enjoy their part in this part of the process!
Hair and makeup
Don’t forget the hair and makeup! The right look can give your photos that extra something, and we’re here to help you nail it.
Here are some ideas for how to style your hair:
- A loose updo with curls at the ends will give your hair a romantic feel.
- Braids are always cute, especially when braided into a bun at the nape of the neck.
- Ponytails are also excellent for maternity photos. They look polished and put together but still casual and fun. Plus, they make it easy to pull back stray hairs from your face.
- A high ponytail with a tie wrapped around it is another excellent option. It makes it look like you have an updo, but with more movement and texture than a regular bun would have.
Maternity photoshoot in the tub | Image from Pexels
Maternity photoshoot ideas at home
If you’re looking for maternity photoshoot ideas at home, there are many different ways to go about it. A great place to start is a favorite room in your house or an area with a lot of natural light. Or somewhere with some interesting textures.
If not, there are still plenty of ways to make your home look like a fantastic backdrop for a maternity shoot.
You don’t need to spend money on props or decorations. You can create something beautiful and unique with these ideas:
- Take pictures with friends and family members who aren’t expecting. This creates an incredible juxtaposition between the two families.
- Try taking pictures in front of mirrors or windows. The reflection will add extra interest to the photographs.
- Use natural light as much as possible. It will help create soft shadows and highlights on your skin that will make it look flawless in every way!
Maternity photoshoot in the Philippines
In recent years, the trend of maternity photoshoots has been rising. More mothers want to capture this special moment in their lives through photography. It’s one of the most popular photography sessions among mothers-to-be in the Philippines.
Many maternity photographers in the Philippines offer maternity photo shoot packages at affordable prices. But, you need to find one that suits your needs and budget.
Here are some tips on how you can choose the right photographer for your maternity shoot:
- Look at their work. Please make sure the photographers have a portfolio. It should show off their best work and that they’ve done other maternity shoots.
- Ask them questions about their process and style. If they don’t seem excited about answering these questions, it’s probably not the right fit for you!
- Check out online and offline reviews. Find out what other people think of their work. Or how they interact with clients on a personal level in person or over the phone/email/texting (if possible).
Image Source: iStock
Republished with permission from theAsianparent Singapore