5 Men caught in the act of dumping hazardous chemicals in vacant lot
The men reportedly said that they were dumping stale milk, and not hazardous chemicals into the vacant lot.
According to reports, the men dumped so much chemicals that the vacant lot seemed like a lagoon. Authorities also had some difficulty going near the area since the stench was so strong that they had difficulty breathing.
Raymond Espileta, Assistant Head of Civil Security in the San Jose Del Monte City Hall shared that they responded to a call made to the mayor's office to validate the report about a horrible smell that was coming from the vacant lot.
He added that when they went to the lot to check it out, they caught the 5 men in the act of dumping the chemicals. They will be conducting tests to determine just how toxic the chemicals are.
Authorities said that men who were arrested were drivers and porters from a trucking service. According to the lot's caretaker, that wasn't the first time that the men dumped chemicals into the lot. He was told by the men that the chemicals that they were dumping was stale milk.
The men will be charged with violating the clean water act.
Watch the video below:
Taking care of the environment is not just our responsibility to our kids, but it's also our children's responsibility since they will be the ones to take care of the earth for the future generations.
Here are some important tips to teach your kids:
- Try and reduce the amount of waste that you and your family produce. The easiest way to help save the environment would be to reduce the amount of waste that you produce at home.
- Have an outing with your kids wherein you plant trees so that they'll feel that they're directly making an impact. Instead of just going to the beach for a vacation, you can have a tree planting activity with your kids so that they feel inspired and enthusiastic when it caring for the environment.
- Teach your kids how to recycle. A good way of reducing waste would be to start recycling. If possible, try and reuse old plastic containers and reuse old sheets of paper if you need scratch paper.
- Practice trash segregation at home. Another good way of caring for the environment would be to segregate trash at home. Practicing trash segregation helps reduce the waste that goes to the dumpsite since some types of trash can still be recycled.
- Let them understand the impact of their actions on the environment. Every little thing that we do makes an impact on the environment. That's why it's important to teach our kids the impact of their actions on the environment.
Be sure to check out theAsianparent Community for more insightful stories, questions, and answers from parents and experts alike. If you have any insights, questions or comments regarding the topic, please share them in our Comment box below. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Google+ to stay up-to-date on the latest from theAsianparent.com Philippines!