If you’re on social media, then chances are, you’ve already heard of a few oversized newborns being born all over the world. And while they might seem cute, especially because they’re big for their age, it isn’t something that should be taken lightly, as babies who are born overweight can potentially grow up to have weight issues and other related problems.
Bigger isn’t always better
For the most part, newborns are considered as overweight if they weight 10 lbs or more at the time of birth. And while some parents might think that it’s good to give birth to a large baby since they assume that their child is healthy and well-developed.
However, this isn’t the case, as similar to babies who are born too small, there are also problems that overweight babies can have. Right at the onset of birth, they can suffer from shoulder dystocia, wherein the baby’s shoulders are too large to fit through the mother’s pelvic bone. Shoulder dystocia can lead to babies having fractures or broken bones, and the mother suffering from trauma and tearing as a result.
The mother’s health is also a factor
While some overweight babies can have normal vital signs at birth, obese babies have a high risk for obesity and cancer, and can also have developmental problems as they grow older.
Gestational diabetes, or diabetes that occurs during pregnancy, can also be a contributing factor for overweight babies. Because of the higher blood sugar level in moms who have gestational diabetes, their babies tend to grow larger as sugar is a main component in a baby’s development.
The problem arises once the babies are born, since they’re so used to having so much sugar while in the womb, they tend to have low blood sugar once they’re born. Babies who have low blood sugar also need to be closely monitored.
Mothers also need to eat healthy, and perform exercise even if they’re pregnant, as the state of their health can directly impact the health of their babies. The rising incidence of obesity can also be a factor to the rise of overweight babies worldwide.
What can moms do to avoid having an overweight baby?
While in some cases, giving birth to an overweight baby is unavoidable, there are steps that moms can take in order to ensure that their babies are born healthy, regardless of their weight.
- Eat healthy. You are what you eat, and for pregnant moms, your baby’s health depends on the nutrients that your body can provide.
- Exercise! Even if you’re pregnant, it’s still important to do some exercises. You can ask your doctor to help you with what types of exercise you can engage in, so that you can keep you and your baby in shape. Your baby’s health is dependent on how healthy you are, so make your pregnancy an opportunity to create positive changes in your health.
- Get some rest. Rest is important as it is your body’s way of recuperating. Likewise, getting enough rest helps your baby’s body grow and develop. So make sure to get 8 hours of sleep a day.
- Think positively. Your mental state is just as important as the state of your physical health, which is why to avoid problems such as postpartum depression, make sure to take care of your mental health.
- Avoid alcohol and smoking. If you’re a smoker, or a drinker, then you should avoid drinking alcohol or smoking during pregnancy as it has a lot of negative effects on your unborn child. Use your pregnancy as a motivation to drop your bad habits and change your life for the better.
Source: dailymail.co.uk, livescience.com
READ: LOOK: Florida mom gives birth to record-breaking 13-pound baby!
Be sure to check out theAsianparent Community for more insightful stories, questions, and answers from parents and experts alike. If you have any insights, questions or comments regarding the topic, please share them in our Comment box below. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Google+ to stay up-to-date on the latest from theAsianparent.com Philippines!