In 2016, it’s almost next to impossible to go about the day without ever touching our mobile phone or going on the Internet. Where it was a luxury, say, ten years ago, now it’s a necessity.
Because we do almost everything online these days, we need our devices to be constantly powered throughout the day, and for those with phones that don’t have great battery life, carrying a power bank is almost the norm—especially mothers who are always on the go.
But like all electronic devices, power banks, harmless though they may seem, has the potential to be dangerous, especially those of not so good quality.
READ: Don’t let your kids smoke this! E-cigarette blows up in teenager’s face
According to a Strait Times report, “Mr Tan Heng Swee said he parked his Proton Iswara at the Old Frees Association in Jalan Sultan Ahmad Shah and went for lunch with his wife at a nearby restaurant.”
After an hour, 72-year-old retire from Malaysia was approached by a parking attendant and was told that smoke emanated from his car.
He then grabbed a fire extinguisher and tried to put out the flames.
Photo credit: Asia News Networl
“Later, I found out the fire was caused by the power bank,” he said. “I believe the hot weather had triggered a small explosion. Luckily, nobody was hurt.”
The retired engineer had apparently left his power bank in the car’s glove compartment. The fire damaged his 15-year-old car, and although they haven’t fully examined the extend of the extent, it is expected to be repaired in two weeks.
READ: Kids and gadgets: How to help them disconnect and deactivate!
Sharing his tory of Facebook, he wanted people t raise awareness to this issue and not do what he did.
“I advise the public not to leave any electrical gadget or power bank inside their vehicle,” he said.
In fact just last month the Consumers Association of Penang had highlighted warned about the dangers of buying power banks with cheap batteries; they’re especially prone to and starting a fire.
“Its president, S.M. Mohamed Idris, said these types of imported power banks were easily available at flea markets, pasar malam and shopping malls,” the report also said.
Moms, remember when you’re buying electronics, sometimes it’s not ideal to sacrifice quality for the price, especially if it has the potential to hurt you or your family.
If you have any insights, questions or comments regarding the topic, please share them in our Comment box below. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Google+ to stay up-to-date on the latest from theAsianparent.com Philippines!