Senator Risa Hontiveros has filed a bill in the Senate that seeks to prevent as well as punish catcalling and other similar forms of harassment in public places.
The new bill seeks to extend the reach of the law
The current laws in place in the Philippines regarding public harassment are only limited to workplaces. The new bill that has been filed in the Senate seeks to extend the reach of the law to public places as well.
Senator Risa Hontiveros shares that the Revised Penal Code on unjust vexation doesn’t currently cover “with exactitude” gender-based, misogynistic and homophobic public spaces harassment.” She also adds that the current law against sexual harassment in the workplace only covers the relationship between a superior and a subordinate.
The bill would penalize actions such as cat-calling, and stalking
Her proposed measure seeks to penalize “light violations” towards women such as cursing, wolf-whistling, and cat-calling. On the other hand, “severe violations” consist of stalking, touching, pinching or brushing against the genitalia, anus, groin, breasts, inner thighs, face or buttocks.
The bill states that public spaces would include streets, alleys, public parks, schools, government buildings, malls, bars, restaurants, transportation terminals, public markets, and public utility vehicles.
With regard to penalties, they would range from a 1,000 peso fine and community service up to 10,000 pesos and “arresto mayor” or one to six months imprisonment.
Teaching our kids to respect women
It’s important for parents to teach their kids how to respect not just women, but also to show respect for everyone that they meet. Here are some helpful tips:
- Set a good example for your children. If we want our kids to be respectful towards women, we should be respectful ourselves.
- Another good way of teaching your kids respect would be to be respectful towards them. Respect begets respect, so it’s a good way for them to learn about being more respectful.
- Teach your child empathy. Making your kids understand how other people feel is a good way of letting them understand how their words and actions can impact other people.
- Self-respect is also very important to teach to your kids. When your child starts to value themselves, they’ll understand better just how important respect is. It’ll help them be more respectful and understanding of other people.
- Don’t tolerate any violent or aggressive behavior. Any violent or aggressive action done by your kids should never be tolerated. Make sure to let your child understand that this sort of behavior doesn’t do any good, and that they should always be respectful and loving of other people.
Source: news.abs-cbn.com, respectwomen.ca
READ: Unaccompanied minor endured 30 minutes of sexual harassment on plane
Be sure to check out theAsianparent Community for more insightful stories, questions, and answers from parents and experts alike. If you have any insights, questions or comments regarding the topic, please share them in our Comment box below. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Google+ to stay up-to-date on the latest from theAsianparent.com Philippines!