A woman from Caloocan was arrested along with 3 others after they were caught in the act of using shabu in front of her children.
She was caught using drugs while carrying her 2-week-old baby
According to reports, the house in Caloocan was raided because of a tip that it was a drug den. When the police came to the home, they caught the mother in the act of using drugs along with 3 others, while she was carrying her 2-week-old baby. One of her older children was also in the room with them while they were doing drugs.
When asked about when was the last time she used drugs, she said that she quit using drugs, and has just recently started.
What’s more alarming is the fact that drug paraphernalia was strewn all over the home, which were found even in the toys and milk that the children were drinking.
Also caught was her 26-year-old friend, her brother, who admitted to being a long-time addict, as well as their supplier, who was renting a room in the home.
After the incident, the local DSWD will be the ones to take temporary responsibility for her children. Meanwhile, upon hearing the news of her arrest, her husband immediately went to the precinct and cut ties with the mother. He said that it was due to the fact that she would not stop using drugs.
Drug abuse in the family
Dealing with drug abuse in the family is very difficult. Especially since a lot of people who are addicted to drugs can be irrational, and difficult to talk to. Most of the time, they won’t even admit that they’re already addicted to drugs, until it’s too late.
They’re also usually unaware of the damage that they’re causing to your family, and it’s very important to know what you need to do if a family member is abusing drugs.
- Ask for help from a professional. In cases wherein a family member is being difficult, or refusing to undergo drug rehabilitation to curb their addiction, you might need to seek help from a professional. Drug abuse isn’t a problem that
- Take them to a rehabilitation facility. Drugs are substances that cause physical addiction, and not just addictive behavior. That’s why going to a rehabilitation facility is extremely important as it can help them get clean and keep drugs out of their lives.
- Be supportive. Addiction is hard to deal with. That’s why as a concerned family member, you have to be supportive and be there for your loved one who is struggling with drugs. It’s going to be a long and difficult road towards recovery, but the important thing is to always keep moving forward and go with them every step of the way.
- Keep them positive. Keeping positive is by far one of the most effective means of quitting a drug habit. Keep them positive and make them believe that they can quit their addiction, and that they have something to look forward to once they get clean. It’s a good motivation and it keeps them from regressing back into the habit.
- Be there for them. Your support is very important. Don’t be judgmental or try and ostracize your family member who is suffering from addiction. The most important thing would be to understand that they have a problem, and that they also need your help in overcoming that problem.
Be sure to check out ParentTown for more insightful stories, questions, and answers from parents and experts alike. If you have any insights, questions or comments regarding the topic, please share them in our Comment box below. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Google+ to stay up-to-date on the latest from theAsianparent.com Philippines!