We’ve all heard of the benefits of breastfeeding for baby — it’s the perfect infant nutrition, enhances your baby’s cognitive development, etc. But did you know that breastfeeding has a whole host of benefits for YOU too?
Here are 12 of them:
1. Breastfeeding promotes bonding between mother and baby.
2. Breastfeeding helps mom lose weight after baby is born.
3. Breastfeeding helps shrink mother’s uterus after childbirth.
4. Breastfeeding helps prevent post-partum hemorrhage.
5. Breastfeeding decreases chances of maternal osteoporosis later in life.
6. Breastfeeding is a natural contraceptive, provided the guidelines for the lactational amenorrhea method are followed.
7. Breastfeeding helps moms relax because of the release of the oxytocin and prolactin hormones, which are said to have a ‘tranquilizing’ effect.
8. Breastfeeding, particularly direct breastfeeding, saves time and space. There are usually no bottles to tote, no need to refrigerate milk, and less equipment to buy, maintain and store.
9. Breastfeeding protects mothers against anemia (iron deficiency).
10. Breastfeeding reduces one’s risk of developing breast and ovarian cancer.
11. Breastfeeding moms suffer less from postpartum depression.
12. Breastfeeding moms have less ‘sick days’ — since their kids are usually healthier, they don’t need to take so many days off from work to look after sick kids.
La Leche League International
If you have any insights, questions or comments regarding the topic, please share them in our Comment box below. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Google+ to stay up-to-date on the latest from theAsianparent.com Philippines!