2-year-old girl dies after choking on bread

2-year-old girl dies after choking on bread

The parents of the 2-year-old girl were still able to take her to the hospital after she starteed choking on food. But sadly, she died 4 days later.

A 2-year old girl died as a result of choking on food. Her parents were still able to take her to the hospital. But sadly she died 4 days later.

Choking on food is a very real risk for children

The child, Nia Adreanna Mohd Yasir, was unconscious when she was sent to Selayang Hospital on Monday morning (July 1), Utusan Online reported.

Medical personnel found the piece of bread when they were trying to resuscitate Nia at the emergency ward, said Bernama.

A post-mortem concluded that Nia died of hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy (HIE) with multiple organ failure, said Gombak Police chief ACP Samsor Maarof.

HIE occurs when an infant's brain does not receive enough oxygen and blood.

Nia was reportedly under the care of a babysitter at Nuri Apartment near Gombak in Selangor when the incident occured, Utusan said.

Hopefully, this serves as a reminder for parents to be more careful when it comes to feeding their children.

How can parents prevent choking?

Choking on food is indeed a legitimate concern for a lot of moms and dads. That's why it's always a good idea to know what to do in case your child starts to choke, as well as how to prevent it from happening in the first place.

It's not always enough to cut up the food into small pieces, and it's just as important for parents to always keep an eye on their children whenever they eat.

Here is a list of the most common food that can become choking hazards:

  1. Hotdogs
  2. Carrots
  3. Apples
  4. Grapes
  5. Nuts
  6. Peanut butter
  7. Marshmallows
  8. Chewing gum and hard candy
  9. Popcorn

In order to ensure your child doesn't choke on these food items, make sure to always cut them up into small, irregularly-shaped pieces that children can easily swallow.

It's also a good idea to cut them up as small as you possibly can. What might seem "small" for adults can already be a big piece of food for babies.

In the event that your little one chokes on a piece of food, here's a helpful video to guide you on what to do:

Republished from: AsiaOne

Basahin: Mom shares ‘scariest day of her life’: She accidentally choked her baby with her own breastmilk

May katanungan tungkol sa pagpapalaki ng anak? Basahin ang mga artikulo o magtanong sa kapwa magulang sa aming app. I-download ang theAsianparent Community sa iOS o Android!

Kung ano mang opinyon o ideya ang naibahagi dito ay sariling opinyon at ideya ng may katha; at walang kinalaman at hindi nagsasaad ng posiyon ng theAsianparent at ang mga cliente nito.
Article Stories
app info
get app banner