This is how you can tighten saggy belly skin after giving birth
There is nothing wrong with a saggy belly after pregnancy but there are some things that you can do about it.
Post-baby bodies come in all shapes and sizes. And saggy belly skin after pregnancy is perfectly normal.
Skin is made of collagen and elastin, so it expands with weight gain. Once stretched, skin may have trouble returning to its original shape.
Saggy belly skin can be emotionally frustrating for women who want their bodies to go back to how they were before pregnancy. Don’t forget that your body just did an amazing thing by giving birth!
So be proud, be kind and love your body for what it has done! But we can understand that you will want to get rid of that saggy belly after pregnancy. Here’s what you can do to manage saggy belly after pregnancy.
While there is nothing wrong with having a saggy belly after pregnancy (or saggy breasts!), there are some things that you can do about it.
First, remember that time typically makes loose skin better. So be prepared to wait. It can take a few months for the pregnancy pouch – the fat, extra skin and relaxed pelvic guard that gives the belly a hanging look after pregnancy – to go off. But there are known ways to make saggy belly after pregnancy go away faster.
Here they are:
1. Breastfeeding. Medical experts recommend breastfeeding for at least six months, which can also be beneficial to your health and your baby’s development. Breastfeeding mothers tend to lose weight faster than mothers that do not breastfeed.
2. Watch what you eat and drink. Water hydrates the skin and makes it more elastic. Meanwhile, protein builds collage which is an essential part of your skin. The amount of protein to eat depends on your weight and the physical activity that you do.
3. Exercise. Strength training should only be done once your doctor gives the go-ahead. This will help build your strength, improve body composition and reduce fat.
A cardio routine can also burn fat and tone muscles. This includes brisk walking, swimming or riding a bicycle. Start slowly and gently increase the intensity. Chose consistency over going all out during an exercise session.
4. Try using creams. There are lotions and creams that aim to firm up loose skin. Look for those that have collagen, vitamin K, vitamin C, vitamin E and vitamin A.
In your bid to tighten your saggy belly skin after pregnancy, keep these things in mind:
- Do not crash diet. It is also better to lose weight gradually and this will enhance elasticity of your skin.
- Avoid tanning beds as it dries and can harm your skin.
- Remember that the time it takes for your skin to tighten will differ from person to person. Do not get disheartened if it take some time for your skin to firm up.
Republished with permission from Tha Asian Parent Singapore