Toddler left permanently mute after drinking drain cleaner

lead image

A 2-year-old toddler accidentally drinks drain cleaner in a supermarket, which left him with serious injuries and permanently unable to speak.

A toddler accidentally drinks drain cleaner while he and his mom were in a supermarket in the UK. The horrible incident left the child with serious injuries, that caused him to lose the ability to speak.

Even though the incident happened some time ago, it serves as a sad reminder about how important it is to always keep an eye on our little ones.

Toddler accidentally drinks drain cleaner: How did it happen?

toddler accidentally drinks drain cleaner

Ayman is no longer able to speak, and has to be fed through a tube.

Ayman Faysal, was only 2 years old when he accidentally opened and drank a bottle of drain cleaner at the bottom shelf in a supermarket. He managed to easily remove the child-resistant cap, and drank the contents.

The toddler did it in a few minutes, while his mother’s back was turned.

His mother, Saira, shared that she was shocked to see her son’s lips turned purple and blue, and blood came out of his mouth.

She shares, “I didn’t know what it was or what had happened at first, I just knew it was something bad.”

“I remember screaming at the staff to phone an ambulance while I tried to get as much as I could out with my hands. ‘I was terrified. All I kept thinking was “please don’t let me lose my son,” she added.

Saira also received injuries as she desperately tried to help her son. Ayman spent a month in the ICU and six weeks in a ward before he was able to return home.

He underwent a tracheostomy where a hole was created in his trachea so that he could breathe and eat. It also left him unable to speak. Ayman uses an iPad to communicate and is also learning to use sign language.

Eventually, a court found the store was found at fault since the hazardous chemicals were placed on the bottom shelf, where it can be easily reached. The manufacturer was also held responsible since the child was easily able to remove the “tamper-proof” cap.

Despite the ruling, all Saira wants is to be able to hear her son’s voice once more.

Keep your kids safe from hazardous chemicals

Raising curious kids is fun, but it can also have some risks if you’re not careful. Kids have a habit of being inquisitive about everything, and this can include hazardous chemicals. A sad case was what happened to Ayman, where the toddler accidentally drinks drain cleaner and causes serious injury.

Kids can sometimes be tempted to play or open the colorful containers of chemicals that are commonly used at home. And it can have disastrous results.

Here are some important things to remember to keep your child safe from chemicals:

  • Keep any harmful chemicals well away from the reach of children.
  • Make sure that all chemical containers are sealed and secure.
  • Install child-proof latches on cabinets where chemicals are contained.
  • Never leave cleaning supplies unattended. Always keep an eye on them when using, and keep an eye on your child.
  • Place pills and other drugs in a medicine cabinet.
  • Only buy products with tamper-resistant and child-proof caps and containers.
  • Don’t place cleaning products or chemicals in dishes or cups that are used for food.
  • Teach your kids to steer clear from any harmful chemicals.




republished from theAsianparent Singapore

Also READ: Accidental poisoning in children: Crucial information for parents


May katanungan tungkol sa pagpapalaki ng anak? Basahin ang mga artikulo o magtanong sa kapwa magulang sa aming app. I-download ang theAsianparent Community sa iOS o Android!