According to a report, a woman in Japan died last year from a deadly disease that she probably contracted from a stray cat. The disease, Severe Fever with Thrombocytopenia Syndrome (SFTS) is caused by SFTS virus. It is almost always spread by ticks, though contaminated blood can also transmit the infection from one person to another. And that makes this case so unique. Because, if proven, this would be the first case of transmission of the virus from a pet to a human.
Case in point
The unnamed 50-year-old woman in Japan found a stray cat who was unwell. She decided to care for the cat. It is unclear whether the cat bit her, but she became severely ill. And 10 days after the first contact with the cat, she dies because of SFTS.
The doctors suspected a tick bite to be the cause of the transmission. However, they examined her body and a tick bite mark was nowhere to be found. In the absence of a conclusive proof of transmission, the doctors assumed that the woman contracted the disease from the cat.
Severe Fever with Thrombocytopenia Syndrome
SFTS is a disease where a patient has a high fever with thrombocytopenia (low blood platelet count). Platelets present in the blood are necessary for normal clotting of the blood. In the cases of alarmingly low platelet counts, the person has a chance of severe internal bleeding. In severe cases of SFTS, multi-organ failure ensures and up to 1 in 3 cases can die.
SFTS is most commonly seen in China, though cases have been reported in South Korea and Japan. The tick, Hemaphysalis longicorn is found infecting farm animals like goats. These ticks often transfer the virus to the host, in this case, the goats. However, the infection rate in humans is not much, and so, not much is known about the disease in general. What we know is that there is a possibility of a mild, subclinical infection, but the severe form can also lead to the death of the individual.
Thankfully, there have been no cases of SFTS reported in Singapore. That said, it is wise to be vigilant in the face of this ghastly disease.
Pets and children
Pets add an immense value to the life of a child. It builds up empathy and responsibility while reducing anxiety. That said, proper care is necessary to ensure that the pets do not unknowingly harm the child in some way. While some pets like goldfish are generally safe, dogs, cats, and pet rodents may end up making your child sick if sufficient care is not taken.
If you have a pet dog or a cat, or are considering getting one, you need to take care of these 3 things.
Ticks are parasites that end up hounding dogs and cats. There are different species of ticks, however, they trouble the poor pet in more or less the same way. Dogs and cats pick up ticks while playing outdoors, or by coming in contact with another dog or cat infested by the ticks. They can cause diseases like Lyme disease in humans, though the pets may not fall ill.
The way to deal with it is to brush the coat properly every time the pet returns from outside. In addition, you need to apply the tick medication as indicated by your vet.
The claws of a dog or a cat are meant to provide a natural protection to the animal. However, they may end up hurting your children.
In addition to a physical injury, cats can pass on a bacteria, Bartonella henselae, that can cause the Cat Scratch Disease (CSD) in humans. This bacteria is not uncommonly found in cats, and a simple test can detect it.
CSD is a low-grade fever accompanied by a bump near the scratch site and swollen lymph nodes. However, it may cause serious complications like swelling of the brain, inflammation of the retina and the optic nerve, and bone damage in people with less immunity, like children.
If you own a cat, it is better to get it tested.
3. Pet allergies
Sometimes, you might not own a pet. However, your child may go to his friend’s house, and come in contact with one. If your child has pet allergies, he might start sneezing, experience a difficulty breathing, and might develop rashes on the body.
According to the American College of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology, the reason is due to allergens produced by cats and dogs that are present in their fur, skin, and saliva. The trouble is, your child might be too young to notice the onset of the reaction and might have trouble explaining what he is going through. It is better if you educate your child about pets, especially the allergy part, especially if they suffer from eczema or asthma.
Moms and dads, take care of these pet grooming basics and ensure that your child enjoys his pet to the fullest extent.
This article was originally published on theAsianparent Singapore
READ: 5 Common houseplants that are toxic for your kids and pets