Pregnancy anxiety is one of the major mental health conditions an expectant mom might experience. As pregnancy turns moms-to-be to become more emotional, negative thoughts and worries begin to form inside their head which makes them anxious on several things that they think would happen.
Anxiety during pregnancy causes stress as well. And this can affect the baby inside the womb if not controlled or treated.
It is important for a pregnant mom to ask for help if she feels anxious most of the time. There are lots of available online consultations for pregnancy anxiety.
Know the online sites or pages where you can book for anxiety pregnancy consultation here.
Causes of anxiety during pregnancy
There are many factors that contribute to the development of anxiety to pregnant moms. These includes:
- Unplanned pregnancy – The challenging and emotional feeling an expectant mom might experience from the time she knew that she’s pregnant can lead to overactive response to stress.
- Experiencing stress at home or work – Stressful situations at home or work can greatly damage the mental health of a pregnant woman and this triggers anxiety.
- Relationship problems – Having challenges in relationship also affects the mental health of a pregnant mom. She has to deal with lots of negative thoughts inside her head about the things her life partner might do knowing that their relationship is not on good terms.
- Overthinking – Excessive worrying makes the emotion uncontrollable. This also results to emotional stress which damages peace of mind.
- Hormonal changes – It is normal for an expectant mom to experience hormonal changes. Hence, these changes might affect brain activities which can make her feel anxious and worried all the time.
- Previous miscarriage or fertility struggles –Miscarriage can be traumatic to someone who experienced it. Pregnant mom who had miscarriage tends to feel afraid or worried because she might think that there’s a possibility that her past experience might happen again. Same with a pregnant mom who faced fertility challenges.
- Underlying health concern – Moms-to-be with other health conditions might think that the baby inside her womb can inherit her health concern.
- Fear of giving birth – The fact that giving birth is painful makes pregnant moms, especially first time moms, worried and anxious.
Pregnancy anxiety symptoms
Here are some of the common symptoms of anxiety during pregnancy:
- Experiencing panic attacks.
- Feeling anxious more frequently.
- Feeling worried most of the time.
- Unable to concentrate on day-to-day tasks.
- Having difficulties on sleeping.
- Muscle tension.
- Heart palpitation.
- Shortness of breath.
- Loss of appetite.
5 Online consultation sites in the Philippines for pregnancy anxiety
Here are the 5 online sites which provides consultation for pregnancy anxiety
Photo from Eva Teleconsult
Eva Teleconsult offers a telemedicine service in the Philippines that promises utmost attention, care and dedicated 30-minute consultation per patient.
From general medicine, to mental health counseling and psychiatry, this online consultation site definitely helps you with your health concerns at the comfort of your home.
Additionally, this online consultation site for pregnancy anxiety offers other medical services for pregnant moms since they have a doctor specializing in Obstetrics and Gynecology.
They also do virtual consultations for pediatrics, nutrition & diet and urology.
Fee per session: starts at Php 999.00
Photo from Prescription Psychiatrists
This online consultation site focuses on mental health care. The Prescription Psychiatrists team are all medical professionals with the best training in psychology and psychiatry.
They offer TelePsychotherapy services which can address pregnancy anxiety.
Secondly, the Prescription Psychiatrists consultation site offers TelePsychiatry services for bipolar disorder, depression, and mood swings.
They also have programs for corporate groups, institutions and government agencies which are helpful for employees to cope up with stress at work.
Fee per session: starts at Php 2,000.00
Photo from National Center For Mental Health
The National Center for Mental Health (NCMH) is mainly a Research Training Center and Hospital specializing in mental health under the Department of Health.
This government institution created e-Konsultasyon program that offers free online psychiatric services to anyone struggling with their mental health.
The program also includes pregnant women who are dealing with pregnancy anxiety.
Aside from mental health care, NCMH offers other health services related to Cardiology, Dermatology, Gastroenterology, General Physician, Hematology, Infectious Disease, Nephrology, Neurology and Pulmonology.
They even have sections for Obstetrics & Gynecology and Pediatrics.
Fee per session: free
Photo from Philippine Mental Health Association, Inc.
Since 1950, the Philippine Mental Health Association, Inc. (PMHA) provides mental health services in the country.
It is a private, non-stock, non-profit organization that educates people about the importance of taking good care of their mental health.
During the surge of Covid-19, PMHA launched a Remote Mental Health and Psychosocial Support online service for everyone.
This online consultation can help children, youth and adults, including expectant moms who are dealing with emotional stress, anxiety, depression, and other mental health issues.
Fee per session: free
Photo from Likhaan Center for Women’s Health Inc.
Likhaan Center for Women’s Health Inc. is a non-government, non-profit organization founded in 1995 by a group of feminists, political activists, community women leaders and health workers.
This organization was created to respond to women’s sexual and reproductive rights and health services.
One of the services the Likhaan Center offers is the TeleKonsultasyon that gives free online consultation for women. Consultation covers counseling which can be availed by moms-to-be who are dealing with anxiety during pregnancy.
They also have clinics in Metro Manila, Bulacan and Eastern Samar that offer counseling services as well.
They also offer free actual contraceptive service provision, bilateral tubal ligations, vasectomies and STI-HIV screening and testing.
Some of their clinics also do birthing services and newborn care.
Fee per session: free
If you think it’s more than anxiety, you better get online therapy. Mums, read this: 10 Online Therapy Sites in the Philippines for Depression & Mood Swings in Pregnancy