Mom paralyzed after being injected with skin-cleanser instead of epidural

Mom paralyzed after being injected with skin-cleanser instead of epidural

What was meant to be a routine spinal anesthesia before childbirth turned horribly wrong for Grace Wang...

Grace Wang, a victim of an epidural gone bad will never know what it is like to run free with her son Alex.

An anesthetist had mistakenly injected chlorhexidine, a skin-cleansing fluid, instead of epidural during a routine spinal anesthesia. The hospital has admitted fault and Grace’s case is the only one of its kind ever recorded.

Not only did the 33-year-old mother from Sydney suffer massive nerve damage, she also had to endure two brain surgeries and ended up paralyzed from the waist down.

Epidural Gone Bad: Mom Left With Life-Long Damages To Health

epidural gone bad

picture credit: Now To Love

What was meant to be a joyous occasion being first-time parents, turned in to a nightmare. Grace and Jason never saw it coming. Grace recounts the sadness in her heart because she couldn’t even physically hold her own son when he was born.

“When all those nurses hold Alex, when they kiss and hug him, I feel really sad because I really hope I can also hold him just like the others do because our Alex is so cute,” she says.

According to The Sydney Morning Herald, both clear liquids were placed in separate dishes on a sterile table in the delivery room and were mistaken because they were un-labelled.

Grace told SBS Mandarin News in an exclusive interview that she still feels the after-effects of the epidural gone bad till this day. Even while sitting in her wheelchair she still feels very stiff and as though all the nerves in her body are constantly in pain.

There are days when she still cannot accept the tragedy that befell her. She has to accept that she will be unable to care for her own son. Her husband Jason not only has to take over that role, he also has to care for her. This is difficult because they are on their own in Australia with no other family members who can help.

Our hearts go out to this family, and we hope they get the help they need and so deserve.

epidural gone bad

picture credit: Grace Wang – Epidural Tragedy – Updates and Help Facebook account.

Epidural gone bad may cause you these complications:

1. Drop in blood pressure

Every time your blood pressure drops it can also affect the blood flow to your baby. According to American Pregnancy Association, moms will have to be treated with IV fluids, oxygen, and possibly medications, if this happens.

2. Inadvertent dural puncture or a ‘Wet Tap’

This occurs when the epidural needle accidentally punctures the membrane that covers your spinal cord. As a result, your spinal fluid would leak out. The result is intense headaches say the American Society of Anaesthesiologists. The mom will need to do a “blood patch” to treat the problem. This involves injecting your own blood into the hole to seal it off.

3. Infections

However, this is highly unlikely because the needles used are always sterile and your back would be cleaned with antiseptics. The risk is not high but whenever there’s an opening, it’s could potentially allow bacteria to enter and grow. Also, the spine is directly wired to your brain. As rare as it may be, an epidural gone bad could mean an infection to your spinal cord which then can be a risk to your life.

4. Fevers

Epidurals used for more than six hours can lead to fever. In such cases, mom and baby would have to run some tests and be given an antibiotic treatment.

5. Nerve damage

As scary as this sounds, this injury is only temporary and only last a couple weeks. Side effects of nerve damage that last a long time are very rare and scarce.

Other not so scary side effects of epidural gone bad include shivering, itching, feeling nauseous, or get a mild fever or even a headache after an epidural. However, these side effects are usually temporary.

According to SingHealth approximately 40-45% patients opt for epidural pain relief during labor which translates to an annual number of more than 5000 people in KKH.

While generally, epidurals are safe for both baby and mom when administered correctly and by a trained anesthetist, there still is the possibility of human error. Are you considering pain relief the next time you go into labor? What will you opt for? Let us know in the comment box below.

Source: SBS News, SingHealth, WebMD

Read also: Epidural in Singapore: Tay Kewei reveals her epidural story

Republished with permission from: theAsianParent Singapore


May katanungan tungkol sa pagpapalaki ng anak? Basahin ang mga artikulo o magtanong sa kapwa magulang sa aming app. I-download ang theAsianparent Community sa iOS o Android!

Sinulat ni

Rosanna Chio

Article Stories
app info
get app banner