Lactose intolerance in babies under the age of one is rare. However, it still does occur. With this, parents should check lactose free milk brands Philippines has to offer to provide their baby's dietary needs.
However, what is lactose intolerance anyway? According to Very Well Family, it is "the impaired ability to digest the sugar lactose." The body needs lactase, an enzyme that digests lactose. This is due to several possible reasons, which we'll get into below.
What is responsible for lactose intolerance?
Lactose intolerance is typically characterized by diarrhea, stomach cramping, gas, and bloating. For babies who are still unable to talk, Healthline says you should watch out for the following signs:
- arching their backs;
- kicking their legs;
- clenching their fists; and
- crying while passing gas.
Now, as for what makes your little one have lactose intolerance, there are several conditions and reasons. Allow us to enumerate them below. The first is congenital lactase deficiency.
From the term itself, you can glean that this is something they are born with. Your little one may have been born without lactase enzymes. Babies who have this will immediately have symptoms after drinking milk.
Another possible reason is developmental lactase deficiency. Premature infants can have this and it is only temporary. It happens to infants before their small intestines have fully developed.
Very Well Family also lists galactosemia as something that can affect the baby's ability to break down lactose.
Galactosemia is a rare condition in which the infant is unable to digest galactose, a part of the sugar lactose.
How to choose among the lactose free milk brands Philippines has to offer
First of all, if you suspect your child to have trouble digesting milk, please talk to her/his pediatrician right away. It could possibly be lactose intolerance, but then it could also be something else.
Make sure to find out the root cause of the problem first. Now if you and your doctor are aligned in giving your child lactose-free milk, then that's the time you should look into it. Here are some pointers in selecting one:
- Brand - What is the brand name?
- Ingredients - What does it contain?
- Benefits - What are the advantages of this milk?
Is your child lactose intolerant or allergic to milk?
Looking to boost your milk supply? Here are 7 yummy lactation cookies to help you
5 Best infant milk formula sa Pilipinas at ilang gabay sa pagpili ng gatas ni baby
Top 6 lactose free milk brands in the Philippines
Top 6 Lactose Free Milk Brands in the Philippines
Isomil Soy Formula
Bonna Low Lactose
|Bumili sa Lazada|
Wyeth S26 Comfort
Baby's Only Organic DHA and ARA Sensitive Toddler Formula
This brand has been around since 1966. Made with a soy-based formula from high-quality soy proteins, Isomil Milk has been assisting in the needs of children with cow milk sensitivity, lactose intolerance, and other feeding requirements.
It is 100% lactose and is enhanced with EyeQ Plus, which means it comes with higher lutein and DHA for brain and eye development.
Similac Tummicare HW is from Abbott as well just like Isomil. Hypoallergenic, this milk is gentle on the tummy as you can tell from its name. It is also ideal for babies 0-12 months.
Similac Tummicare 0-12 months is also said to have benefits like boosting your little one's immunity and reducing the risk of allergies.
- Brand: Similac by Abbott.
Similac Tummicare HW benefits: Boosts immunity, reduced the risk of allergies, and for the dietary management of lactose intolerance.
- Other features: Partially hydrolyzed whey and reduced lactose.
Similac Tummicare price: Php 850.50
All right, so this one's not completely lactose-free; it's low lactose. But we're adding it to the list as an option as well. It contains probiotics to help with tummy health.
- Brand: Bonna.
- Bonna milk benefits: Contains probiotics L. reuteri and helps balance baby's gut flora to support the recovery from diarrhea.
- Other features: Low lactose and for infants 0-12 months old.
- Bonna low lactose price: Php 150.00 for 180g.
Here's another low lactose option. This time, it's from Nestle. Nestogen Lactose Free has two low-lactose options: One for 0-12 months and another for 1-3 years old.
Both of them feature tummy-friendly ingredients for your little one's healthy and happy gut.
- Brand: Nestogen from Nestle.
- Ingredients and benefits:
- L. Comfortis probiotic for your child's digestive health.
- Lipo-Activ special fat blend - fatty acids for calcium absorption.
- Calcium for bone and teeth health.
- Iron for the formation of red blood cells.
- Vitamin C for iron absorption.
- Zinc for your child's growth and development.
- DHA for the brain.
- Other features: For the dietary management of lactose intolerance.
- Nestogen Low Lactose price: Php 534.00
The S26 product line of Wyeth has been around for a while. Other milk products under it are S26 Gold Progress and S26 Gold Promise to name a few.
S26 Comfort is a partially hydrolyzed whey infant formula with reduced lactose. It was formulated for infants 0-12 months old.
- Brand: Wyeth.
- Ingredients and benefits: For special medical purposes intended for Infants from 0-12 months and the dietary management of infants with mild gastrointestinal discomfort (ie, hard stool).
- Price: Php 1,571.75
This one from Baby's Only is for older kids, specifically 12 to 36 months old. It has been specially formulated for little ones who have lactose sensitivity and gastrointestinal concerns.
It also contains DHA and ARA, which play a role in the development and growth of babies. They are derived from natural sources and are hexane-free.
- Brand: Baby's Only.
- Ingredients and benefits:
- DHA and ARA from natural sources.
- Organic milk-based formula for children with lactose sensitivity.
- Cholein and lutein.
- Other features: Certified non-GMO, recognized for purity and nutritional superiority, and gluten-free, no corn syrup, no palm oil.
- Price: Php 978.87
Low Lactose and Lactose Free Milk Price
|Isomil Milk Soy Formula
|Similac Tummicare HW
|Bonna Low Lactose
|Nestogen Low Lactose
|Wyeth S26 Comfort
|Baby's Only Organic DHA and ARA Sensitive Toddler Formula
Note: Each item and price is up to date as of publication, however, an item may be sold out or the price may be different at a later date.
Babies need a lot of nutrients to support their growth and development, especially this is their formative years. And parents, another thing you should also look into are vitamins. Check out: 13 Best Vitamins for Babies Up to 12-Month-Old!